none
MS Project RRS feed

• Question

• Hello, I need help.... Can I have deadline alerts set to send from Project 2010 to Outlook 2010? I have looked everywhere, but I dont see the option....
    Monday, October 10, 2011 3:15 PM

Answers

• As Brian and Ellen said, no.  But you could write your own macro/program to do something like that. You also could put the schedule up into SharePoint using Project 2010's built-in functionality and make it so people look their for deadlines, or even in SP set up some sort of alert.  

That all being said, I wouldn't really do suggest doing that.  Sending out alerts on deadlines doesn't really accomplish much.  What you want is for people to know what Project is currently computing a finish date which is near or past a deadline, or something like. For that, depending on the cycle of your project, people can detect once a week or once a month from looking at the status updates you provide them in reports ... even reports which may be filtered by person.  Give them guidance and information, not data.

--rms www.rmschneider.com
    Monday, October 10, 2011 5:10 PM

All replies

• No, not out of the box. There is no functionality in Project to send email based on deadline dates. Sorry

It could be done via a custom coded VBA solution though.

Brian Kennemer – DeltaBahn Senior Architect
    Blog | Twitter | LinkedIn
    Monday, October 10, 2011 3:34 PM
  • This is only a feature that is available in MS Project Server.  Emails can be sent xx amount of days before the scheduled start and/or finish date of a task. 
    Ellen Lehnert, PMP, MCT Training/Consulting/Author ellen@lehnertcs.com, www.lehnertcs.com Author "Managing Projects using MS Project 2010 desktop" courseware, www.MVP-Press.com
    Monday, October 10, 2011 4:41 PM
  • As Brian and Ellen said, no.  But you could write your own macro/program to do something like that. You also could put the schedule up into SharePoint using Project 2010's built-in functionality and make it so people look their for deadlines, or even in SP set up some sort of alert.  

That all being said, I wouldn't really do suggest doing that.  Sending out alerts on deadlines doesn't really accomplish much.  What you want is for people to know what Project is currently computing a finish date which is near or past a deadline, or something like. For that, depending on the cycle of your project, people can detect once a week or once a month from looking at the status updates you provide them in reports ... even reports which may be filtered by person.  Give them guidance and information, not data.

--rms www.rmschneider.com
    Monday, October 10, 2011 5:10 PM