Retrieving Windows Mail Email Messages From Old Hard Drive RRS feed

• Question

• I had a computer take a fall about a year ago and I just popped out the hard drive and tossed the rest.

I am able to view the contents of the hard drive by placing it in an external case and connecting to another computer, so the hard drive does function.

I decided to migrate the old email messages (Windows Mail) from the old hard drive to a newer computer (windows 7) that is using Windows Live Mail. However, I do not seem to be able to locate the file(s) that contain the email messages from the old computer. I've checked under the AppData - which does appear to have the folder structure - but no importable files. I've checked under the \Program Files\ directory that contains the Windows Mail executable and some other files, but again, nothing that appears to be importable.

I've searched for *.dat, *.eml, and poked with no luck. Does anyone know the actual files that contain the email messages? I'd like to copy them to my newer machine and import them into Windows Live Mail if possible.

Thanks.

Wednesday, December 5, 2012 5:23 AM

Answers

• Aha! Should anyone else have this issue... for whatever reason.... those email files that I would have expected to find on the (now external) hard drive from the old machine have magically migrated their way to the C:\ drive of the machine to which I attached the old hard drive. Those .eml files are found under the the proper AppData directory on the newer machine.

I am perplexed, but I have my files.

Wednesday, December 5, 2012 9:10 AM

All replies

• Aha! Should anyone else have this issue... for whatever reason.... those email files that I would have expected to find on the (now external) hard drive from the old machine have magically migrated their way to the C:\ drive of the machine to which I attached the old hard drive. Those .eml files are found under the the proper AppData directory on the newer machine.

I am perplexed, but I have my files.

Wednesday, December 5, 2012 9:10 AM
  • It seems you resolved the issue. If you need any other assistance, please feel free to let me know.

If you are TechNet Subscription user and have any feedback on our support quality, please send your feedback here.

Niki Han
    TechNet Community Support

Thursday, December 6, 2012 3:11 AM