Vista dual boot & generalize RRS feed

• Question

• I am deploying several hundred Dell Latidute D830 T8300 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 2 GB ram with a dual boot Vista & XP Pro. All have the sme hareware in them. Everthing works great on my image. On the XPP side I reseal using sysprep -mini. After shut down it takes the normal amount of time to boot, enter the system name, etc. BUT on the Vista image  I reseal with sysprep /generalize /quit and it takes a few minutes to reseal like the XP side. However, the next vista boot I watch please wait while windows prepares your system and it takes about an hour for me to get to the next reboot and enter of computer name.

Please help, It takes forever! If I pull the /generalize option it goes pretty normal speed but I'm worried the image will have problems with our Domain.

Can anyone please help me? This can not be normal! Am I missing a switch? Will pulling the generalize give me problems later?

After it loads everthing is right and everthing on the image seems great, but the huge time thing will kill me

Thanks,

Sheldon

Friday, July 25, 2008 8:41 PM

Answers

•  

You definately need to sysprep /generalize your master image.  You might take a look at the logs on c:\windows\system32\panther and below.  In particular look for large log files and time stamps within them that indocate delays.  Also look for operations where maybe you have loads of drivers it has to sort through with pnp detection, or particular driver/hardware are causing the delay. 

- Mike

Wednesday, August 20, 2008 11:57 PM