none
How often should I set the sync options for a simple Exchange DB RRS feed

• Question

• I have a 60GB DB with about 150  users in one site. I would like to do a cross site backup using DPM over a afirly slow but dedicated 10MB network to a DPM server in a different office.

Email is king here and of course I would like to offer out the best recovery options to our business, but am not sure how often I should set my backups under DPM to give me the best without impcating performance and looking to hear what others may suggest.

To add to the fun we have a secondary site. ((i havent done DAG yet but will eventually!)) The mailstore DB has journalling to a local secondary DB on the same exchange box. That journal DB contents are shipped off using an external cloud archive solution for DR - MimeCast. 10 year indexed and always on archive. Expensive but is my get out of jail card often!

The box has its databses and logs split across different raid lumps locally and performance is great with 32GB of RAM in the box and fast processors but am concerned if I am using DPM every 15 mins to deal with the log files I will eat away at the IO on the box.

My own thoughts were a full backup once per day with every 4 hours a sync for the logs? However, would it actually be better going for a more faster sync say every 15 mins and a full backup simply early morning 7 am then a 8 pm one once most users are off the box? Anyone got any balanced suggestions for a strategy for me?

Thursday, March 31, 2011 1:30 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

the sync time will allow to loose less data in case of crash of the Exchange server. With 4h between sync you'll potentially loose 4h of data.

The full backup allows to recover data in a faster way.

Doing frequent sync allows to balance the load during the day and not sync a lot of data every 4 hour.

Thursday, March 31, 2011 8:48 PM
  • housekeeping - closing old post.  Open a new post if you still have a need.

Regards, A.Nadar, This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Wednesday, June 20, 2012 10:08 PM