This advertised application will not be installed because it might be unsafe. Contact your administrator to change the installation user interface option of the package to basic. Continued RRS feed

All replies

• Un-mark the answer?

Arnav Sharma | http://arnavsharma.net/ Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Friday, October 10, 2014 3:14 AM
  • Hi Arnav Sharma,

Thanks for responding to my forum discussion and that's right, I want to un-mark the answer in the link I supplied as it didn't resolve the issue, do you have any suggestions to resolve the issue? Your help would be much appreciated.

Kind regards,

RocknRollTim

Friday, October 10, 2014 7:00 AM
  • Hi,

Did we checked this blog already?

"This advertised application will not be installed because it might be unsafe. Contact your administrator to change the installation user interface option of the package to basic."

QUOTE:

"

The MSI package generated by a programmer may have a custom action to show the product as advertised, this will prevent execution of the installation in full UI mode. This problem is typically experienced in Group Policy (GP) related software deployment. If the product is already advertised, you can invoke the install in basic UI or silently. You can run the Installer package via msiexec.exe while specifying the /qb switch to run in Basic UI mode. 

"

For more information, please take a check with the above blog.

Best regards

Michael Shao
    TechNet Community Support

• Edited by Michael_LS Tuesday, October 14, 2014 3:15 AM missing 'b' in /qb
    Friday, October 10, 2014 7:59 AM
  • Hi Michael Shao,

Thank you for also responding to my forum thread too, I'll study the link carefully when I have a few minutes spare, however I used an additional switch to the switch you recommended and that's b i.e. msiexec.exe /i "<filename>.msi" /qb, will this make any difference to the installation operation and to cause any system effects? Your help would be much appreciated.

Kind regards,

RocknRollTim

Saturday, October 11, 2014 9:51 AM
  • You can do it yourself. Hit Unmark as answer. 

Else, let me know if you want, will do it for you. 

Arnav Sharma | http://arnavsharma.net/ Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Sunday, October 12, 2014 10:55 PM
  • Hi arnavsharma,

Thanks for also responding to my forum thread and I can't, it doesn't present the option to me under the post when logged in, it only presents with 2 options, Reply or Quote, is there a time limit for un-marking a post or is this something that the user configures?

Kind regards,

RocknRollTim

Monday, October 13, 2014 7:05 AM
  • Hi RocknRollTim,

With the /qb (Sorry for missing the 'b') switch, the installer package would run in Basic UI mode,

and running an installer with the basic user interface mode performs only the actions contained in the installer's Execute sequence and bypasses the error noted above in most cases. 

More information, please check the blog already posted.

Best regards

Michael Shao
    TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, October 14, 2014 6:26 AM
  • Hi Michael Shao,

Thank you for responding to my forum post again and for clarifying that I b on the end of the /q, I'll refer back to the blog link for more info.

Kind regards,

RocknRollTim

Tuesday, October 14, 2014 7:18 AM
  • I have unmarked the answer. :)

Tuesday, October 14, 2014 10:23 PM
  • Hi arnavsharma,

How did you manage to un-mark the answer when I couldn't see the option? By the way thanks for doing that for me, really appreciated. :)

Kind Regards,

RocknRollTim

Tuesday, October 14, 2014 10:28 PM