2008 server and softgrid RRS feed

• Question

•  

Hi Guys

Is it possible to install softgrid 4.2 virtualization server on windows server 2008? Or is it just the new beta of 4.5 that is currently supported on the w2k8 platform??

OHM

Friday, March 14, 2008 12:25 AM

Answers

• Not officially supported.  Haven't tried it.  VAS should be OK because it really isn't that special of software.  Management Server is also pretty straightforward (just a website and a handfull of dlls).  If it isn't going to work it will be because of the installers.  But installing on 03 and hacking a solution should be possible.

Friday, March 14, 2008 2:36 AM
  • Yes, that would be likely.  The best way is to look at the website setup of an existing system.  Basically you have a virtual folder with a handfull of dlls and a web.config file with .net remoting enabled somehow.  It really is that simple, except that on 2008 you are dealing with IIS7 instead of 6 and I have no idea how that will complicate things.

And of course you can always just drop the Management Server on any other OS with IIS6.  The management server and softgrid server do not directly talk (any more) and do not need to be co-located.

Wednesday, March 19, 2008 12:22 PM

All replies

• Not officially supported.  Haven't tried it.  VAS should be OK because it really isn't that special of software.  Management Server is also pretty straightforward (just a website and a handfull of dlls).  If it isn't going to work it will be because of the installers.  But installing on 03 and hacking a solution should be possible.

Friday, March 14, 2008 2:36 AM
  • I tested to install but the installation fails when it tries to setup website in iis. Bullocks!

So what you are saying is that if i created the site manually on iis the installer would probably continue??

OHM

Friday, March 14, 2008 7:05 PM
  • Yes, that would be likely.  The best way is to look at the website setup of an existing system.  Basically you have a virtual folder with a handfull of dlls and a web.config file with .net remoting enabled somehow.  It really is that simple, except that on 2008 you are dealing with IIS7 instead of 6 and I have no idea how that will complicate things.

And of course you can always just drop the Management Server on any other OS with IIS6.  The management server and softgrid server do not directly talk (any more) and do not need to be co-located.

Wednesday, March 19, 2008 12:22 PM
  • Thursday, March 27, 2008 12:42 PM