none
New Laptop, no SerialNumber in BIOS

Question

• Hi,

We are running MDT2010 on Server 2008 R2 with a database and have been successfully matching the serial number on a computer to a computer in the database to automate the process.(Been doing this since MDT2008). However, we have just received some new Netbooks (Lenovo S10-3) and the normal wmi query (wmic bios get serialnumber) returns blank so it will not match to a database computer entry. On other machines this is correct.

I have found that running 'wmic baseboard get serialnumber' reports the Serial number just fine, so Lenovo have obviously gone non-standard on these netbooks (We run other Lenovo desktops and laptops)

How can I make MDT check this field as well as the default field for the Serial Number so we can continue to automate the build?

Cheers

Tim Brewer

Thursday, March 31, 2011 7:43 PM

All replies

• Make a copy of ZTIGather.wsf for backup. Go to line 413

Find the code

If sSerialNumber = "" then
      oLogging.CreateEntry "Unable to determine serial number via WMI.", LogTypeInfo
    End if

and replace this with

Set objResults = objWMI.InstancesOf("Win32_Baseboard")
      For each objInstance in objResults
         ' Get the serial number
         If not IsNull(objInstance.SerialNumber) then
          sSerialNumber = Trim(objInstance.SerialNumber)
        End if
      Next
    End if
    End if

• Proposed as answer by Paul_Iddon Thursday, March 31, 2011 11:27 PM
    Thursday, March 31, 2011 8:38 PM
  • Hi Michael,

This is going to do the trick! I just need to update my boot image then should be away.(Its so obvious really)

I'll say a BIG THANKS now as we are super busy at the moment and this issue was something we just didn't need  :)

Cheers

Tim

Thursday, March 31, 2011 11:13 PM