How to pull all samples from SQL to build trendlines in Excel? RRS feed

• Question

• I need to graph all the samples taken from  all the servers monitored in MAP and them produce a trendlin of their network, cpu and memory utililization.

Certainly these samples (taken every 5 minutes i understand) arein the Database?

How would I return the data to Excel or Access?
    Tuesday, September 2, 2008 3:17 PM

All replies

• You're correct that the samples are taken at 5 minute intervals.  However, only the 1 hour aggregates are stored in the database (12 samples at 5 minutes each are aggregated into one set of values stored in the database).

Take a look at these stored procedures:

sp_get_processor_usage_info
    sp_get_storage_usage_info
    sp_get_memory_usage_info
    sp_get_net_interface_usage_info
    sp_get_disk_space_usage_info
    sp_get_storage_usage_info

if you look at these, they're generally aggregating the 1 hour values as either an Average or MAX from the data in the underlying tables (such as the performance_processor table).

You can use this as a basis to do your own aggregates from these tables.

One thing that may not be obvious: the 'device_number' column is a foreign key to the 'devices' table; there's one row in the devices table for every machine that is inventoried or has perf data gathered.  the 'devices' table is where you can find out machine name, OS installed, memory installed, etc.  For example, machine name can be obtained from the 'ad_dns_host_name' or 'dns_host_name' columns.

Hope that helps you!
    Jay

• Proposed as answer by Jay Sauls Wednesday, November 12, 2008 5:21 PM
    Friday, September 5, 2008 7:38 PM