Multi-Site edge with sindle front-end server RRS feed

• Question

• Is it possible to have multiple stand alone EDGE servers at different sites for a single front-end server with Skype for Business?

We have a high speed connection between sites with latency of about 1ms. The other site is a co-location facility with no users. Even if the internet goes down at one site, we could still have connectivity between sites. We have two mediation servers with redundant trunks to our provider serving the single front-end. I would like to do the same or similar with the Edge servers, which would have different external IP Addresses. 

Friday, November 18, 2016 3:26 PM

All replies

• Hi Tim,

yes its possible to do this.

But for DR you would usually have a seperate Front End and Edge server in each location so each site can operate independently. You can then pool pair the Front end pools as well.

So you would have edge server with separate IPs and FQDNs associated to local front end in each site. 

The remote access DNS SRV records have weighted priorities and federation would point to a single edge server and must be updated manually to point to other edge server, a manual topology change is required as well. DNS records should have low TTL as well.

Hope this helps,

Martin 

Please remember, if you see a post that helped you please click "Vote As Helpful" and if it answered your question please click "Mark As Answer". Thank you. This forum post is based upon my personal experience and does not reflect the opinion or view of my employer.

Friday, November 18, 2016 6:13 PM
  • My plan was to build a second front end server and split some of the user base, then utilizes pool failover. However there have been several articles written about problems with pool failover in Skype for Business. Some indicate a critical issue where you can't move a pool back without dramatic recovery efforts.

http://lyncnews.blogspot.com/2015/09/skype-for-business-standard-edition.html

We have a hyper-v cluster at each site and the SFE is replicated to the remote site. With a couple of IP Address changes it can be up and running at the remote site quickly if needed. We have done the same with Edge and Mediation roles in the past, but I am trying to reduce the need to change external addresses and improve redundancy.

I have been waiting to see if one of the SfB cumulative updates will address the pool failover issue before implementation.

Friday, November 18, 2016 6:22 PM
  • Hi Tim,

Yeah im aware of the issue and still isn't patched in the latest Novemeber 2016 CU im afraid :(

Thanks,

Martin

Please remember, if you see a post that helped you please click "Vote As Helpful" and if it answered your question please click "Mark As Answer". Thank you. This forum post is based upon my personal experience and does not reflect the opinion or view of my employer.

Friday, November 18, 2016 6:26 PM
  • It astounds me that MS can have a DR solution that can cause a larger disaster if actually used and not fix it in the first year of release.
    Friday, November 18, 2016 7:26 PM