Does the WMI repository in Windows 7 contain any user-specific information? RRS feed

• Question

• I have a few users who regularly have a problem opening an application that queries the WMI repospitory.  When they try to open this particular application, they get an error message that says the application has stopped working.

The vast majority of my users have no problem at all with this software.  There are around 500 users total.  But there are a few (around 20) who have this problem.  It happens on different PCs for these 20 users, but only on PCs with Windows 7.  These same users can log onto a Windows XP machine and the application works just fine.

The failing application was created by a third-party company.  The engineers from this company have looked at this problem and they say it has something to do with WMI Repository corruption.  The only “fix” we have come up with so far is to stop the Windows Management service, then open a command prompt with elevated privileges and issue the command “wmimgmt /resetrepository”.  This will allow the user to open the application with no problems for that day, but the next day when they try it, it fails again.  So this is a temporary fix.

Personally I am not convinced that WMI corruption is what is causing this problem.  My understanding is that WMI is not a “per-user” repository, but a “per-computer” repository.  If that’s correct, then ALL users should have the problem on a given PC.  And that is not what we are seeing.  It’s only a handful of users, and it doesn’t matter what PC they log into.  The problem follows them when they logon to a different Windows 7 PC.  But yet, the “wmimgmt /resetrepository” does fix the problem temporarily.

So my questions are:
    1. Is there something in the WMI Repository that is user-specific?
    2. What exactly does the “wmimgmt /resetrepository” command do?

Thursday, May 2, 2013 1:05 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Since this issue is related to the application code, you can keep working with their support for more help.

In addition, for code related issue, you can also post in MSDN forum to get help.

Regards,

Vincent Wang
    TechNet Community Support

Friday, May 3, 2013 9:16 AM