none
Project will not Save and check in when using Project Professional, Works Fine From PWA, and only Happens with this 1 project??? RRS feed

• Question

• Project Server 2010/SarePoint 2010 On 1st Server

SQL Server 2008 R2 Standard on Second server

Hey everyone i have maybe 100 projects total, and what happens with this 1 and only project is that i can edit, add and save uing the PWA site, but when i check it out using Project Prosessional, i make changes, and when i go to save and check them in Nothing happens, no errors no messages. it just stays open when i try to go to either File>exit, ar cluck the Close out 'X" the diaglog box will come back asking if i want to save or not and check in or not.  when i try again nothing happens.  if i check discard changes and check in it works and then closes! ANYONE come across this or have any ideas? Thanks. 

Jack Galante Sr Systems Engineer

Wednesday, May 30, 2012 6:30 PM

Answers

• I've had similar behavior when importing a file into a new environment.  As near as I can tell, it was related to either an assignment or the resource pool.  Just to try it out (and make sure you take a backup), delete the resources either in total or in groups, and try to save it after each delete process.  That might help you identify where the issue lies.

Andrew Lavinsky [MVP] Blog: http://azlav.umtblog.com Twitter: @alavinsky

• Marked as answer by JackKLD Thursday, March 14, 2013 8:30 PM
    Thursday, May 31, 2012 4:23 AM

All replies

• Hi Jack,

Are you able to repro this issue from different comupter? Have you tried clearing the project from local cache?

Hrishi Deshpande – DeltaBahn Senior Consultant
    Blog | < | LinkedIn

Wednesday, May 30, 2012 6:50 PM
  • Yes, 3 of us have tried from 3 dofferent computers using 3 different log in names, and we all experiene the same issue. 

Wednesday, May 30, 2012 8:18 PM
  • But the issue does not happen with the PWA site it happens when using the Project Professional Web APP

Wednesday, May 30, 2012 8:23 PM
  • Try launching Project Pro via PWA or creating new Project Pro profile

Blog | < | LinkedIn

Wednesday, May 30, 2012 8:25 PM
  • Ahh we are launching project pro from PWA, and the kicker is that we recreated this project and are having the same issue!  so something contained inside must be causing this issue, the od thing is that like i said above we get no error messages or hangs when we hot save and check in just sits there

Wednesday, May 30, 2012 8:55 PM
  • Note: There are two ways to open the project plan for editing using Project Pro

1. From PWA navigate to Project Center>>>Select the project and use the option from the ribbon to edit the project plan via Project Pro

2. Launched Project Pro first, connecting to the server. Navigate to File>>Open>> Retrieve the list of the entire project from Project Server; select the project plan and open.

Per title of the thread I am assuming that your issue is only with option 1, correct me if I am wrong.

Blog | < | LinkedIn

Wednesday, May 30, 2012 9:12 PM
  • I've had similar behavior when importing a file into a new environment.  As near as I can tell, it was related to either an assignment or the resource pool.  Just to try it out (and make sure you take a backup), delete the resources either in total or in groups, and try to save it after each delete process.  That might help you identify where the issue lies.

Andrew Lavinsky [MVP] Blog: http://azlav.umtblog.com Twitter: @alavinsky

• Marked as answer by JackKLD Thursday, March 14, 2013 8:30 PM
    Thursday, May 31, 2012 4:23 AM
  • We had the exact same behavior in a SP 2010 / SQL 2008 R2 installation.

We downloaded the mpp files and were able to successfully save/publish them in our pre-production setup therefore ruling out any issues in the mpp. The same downloaded mpp files could not be saved back to the production system.

There were no errors reported in the QueueManager. But a careful analysis of the ULS showed a PSI call to GetMatchingResourcesData followed by the complete list of resource GUIDs in the plan.  This has been a very expensive call to the SQL since the early versions of Project Server each time a project is opened/save/published and suggested to us a timeout in the communication between the Web and the SQL.

There were no additional entries for the save/publish transaction we were trying to make. It appeared as if the SQL stopped communicating back and project server did not report an error.

We then noticed that the SQL had a few bytes of free memory left. Possibly a memory leak. After rebooting the SQL server the issue got fixed.

Gustavo

www.gustavogarcia.net

• Edited by garciagu Monday, June 10, 2013 4:29 PM
    Monday, June 10, 2013 4:28 PM