none
How to show progress bar on SummaryTasks over the scheduled bars in Project View in PWA 2010? RRS feed

• Question

• Everybody knows how to show progress bars over scheduled bars on Tracking Gantt in Project Professional (it is a default) and of course, it is interesting to have the same view in PWA 2010. A very important lack for both views that you cannot see the baseline bar for summary and project summary bars, that is filled with actual bars in Tracking Gantt view. It would be nice to see the same bars as for regular, critical and milestone tasks. So to make this change is easy in Project Professional, but when you try to do the same in PWA Gantt Bars, you can do it on Project Summary bars, but you cannot show progress bars on top of scheduled bars for Summary Tasks (in my case I use scheduled and actual on the top level bars and baseline in the lower level bar). I tried to use the middle line bar for actual without success.

Any suggestions?

Thank you.

Best regards, Ricardo Segawa - Segawas Projetos / Microsoft Partner
    Monday, September 12, 2011 5:57 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi Ricardo,

The formatting options for PWA bar styles are much more limited, and I'm afraid what you want to do is not possible.

Ben Howard [MVP] blog | web
    Monday, September 12, 2011 7:51 PM
  • Hi Ben,

Thank you for your insight. Did you know any place where I can find an official reference about this?

Best regards, Ricardo Segawa - Segawas Projetos / Microsoft Partner
    Tuesday, September 13, 2011 2:00 AM
  • No, official documentation details what is possible, rather than what is not.

Tuesday, September 13, 2011 8:52 AM
  • Hi Ben, I assume I must be approaching this the wrong way so I'm hoping you can suggest an alternative. For Steering Committee reports I need to show high-level progress (i.e. progress of the Summary Task) as they're not interested in the detail, and I suspect I'm not the only person producing reports for a board or exec committe. So what is the best method within Project 2010 to visually provide clear indication on how the project is tracking against the high-level Summary tasks?

Thanks

Iain

Thursday, December 15, 2011 1:13 AM
  • Hi Iain, Project 2010 provides options regarding the timelime etc, or other views detailing progress on Summary tasks.  In Project Server, then a Project detail view of summary showing just the summary tasks is can be created..., alternatively the Project centre summary view or tracking view both show a single progress line for the whole project.
    Thursday, December 15, 2011 8:48 AM