Desktops in the Windows Server 2008 R2 Groups RRS feed

• Question

• We have a weird issue in where our Windows Server 2008 R2 Computer Groups are being populated with our servers and Windows 7 clients. I'm not even sure where to start on trying to fix this.
    Thursday, April 7, 2011 8:21 PM

Answers

• I'd bet you have one of 3 scenarios:

1.  You are using the older version of SCVMM integration, and your Client machines are VM's.  The group state corruption is causing this - which was a factor of the relationship of computers hosts computer in the previous SCVMM integration  Solution - upgrade to the current SCVMM R2 SP1 platform, PRO integration, and MP set.

2.  There is a very specific issue with the SCVMM MP - where they create a new class, with a BASE CLASS of "Windows Server"  (Microsoft.Windows.Server.Computer)

The discovery that is breaking this is the Microsoft.Virtualization.2008.VirtualizationCandidateComputerDiscoveryRule discovery…. Which populates the “Virtualization Candidates Computer” class:

<ClassType ID="Microsoft.Virtualization.2008.VirtualizationCandidateComputer" Accessibility="Public" Abstract="false" Base="Windows!Microsoft.Windows.Server.Computer" Hosted="false" Singleton="false" />

The discovery for this class targets all windows computers, but creates instances of Windows Server- since it uses that as a base class.  Subsequently - you will potentially see Windows client machines in the "Windows Server" class discovered inventory, and these will be targets for most server based discoveries - and throw all kinds of errors.

I have not checked the latest SCVMM MP which came with 2008 R2 SP1 - to see if they resolved this issue.  If they did - upgrade.  If they didnt - then simply create/find a group of all Client based Windows Computer objects, disable the discovery mentioned above for this group, and then run remove-disabledmonitoringobject

3.  You have some other MP (3rd party or custom) which does something similar to #2, using Windows Server as a base class with it's own filtered discovery expression, but targeting a broader target class like Windows Computer, or agent, etc...

Kevin Holman http://blogs.technet.com/b/kevinh
    Friday, April 8, 2011 8:10 PM

All replies

• Hi.  I had a similar problem where some Win2003 Enterprise x64 servers were in the client computer group.  After removing and reinstalling the agents they were removed from the client group.
    Layne, 2011 Microsoft Community Contributor Recipient
    Thursday, April 7, 2011 9:10 PM
  • I'd bet you have one of 3 scenarios:

1.  You are using the older version of SCVMM integration, and your Client machines are VM's.  The group state corruption is causing this - which was a factor of the relationship of computers hosts computer in the previous SCVMM integration  Solution - upgrade to the current SCVMM R2 SP1 platform, PRO integration, and MP set.

2.  There is a very specific issue with the SCVMM MP - where they create a new class, with a BASE CLASS of "Windows Server"  (Microsoft.Windows.Server.Computer)

The discovery that is breaking this is the Microsoft.Virtualization.2008.VirtualizationCandidateComputerDiscoveryRule discovery…. Which populates the “Virtualization Candidates Computer” class:

<ClassType ID="Microsoft.Virtualization.2008.VirtualizationCandidateComputer" Accessibility="Public" Abstract="false" Base="Windows!Microsoft.Windows.Server.Computer" Hosted="false" Singleton="false" />

The discovery for this class targets all windows computers, but creates instances of Windows Server- since it uses that as a base class.  Subsequently - you will potentially see Windows client machines in the "Windows Server" class discovered inventory, and these will be targets for most server based discoveries - and throw all kinds of errors.

I have not checked the latest SCVMM MP which came with 2008 R2 SP1 - to see if they resolved this issue.  If they did - upgrade.  If they didnt - then simply create/find a group of all Client based Windows Computer objects, disable the discovery mentioned above for this group, and then run remove-disabledmonitoringobject

3.  You have some other MP (3rd party or custom) which does something similar to #2, using Windows Server as a base class with it's own filtered discovery expression, but targeting a broader target class like Windows Computer, or agent, etc...

Kevin Holman http://blogs.technet.com/b/kevinh
    Friday, April 8, 2011 8:10 PM
  • We have disabled the discovery and ran the powershell script to remove the old objects. We also upgraded SCVMM to SP1.We have installed both management packs but we have not configured the SCVMM management pack yet. Desktops still show up in the windows server group. :( rebooting our scom server now.
    Friday, April 8, 2011 8:13 PM
  • We will try upgrading the management pack and see if that works. The weird part about this is all our desktops listed in the server group are physical machines.
    Friday, April 8, 2011 8:14 PM
  • ok, That fixed the issue with new clients from showing up in the windows server group. But the older clients didn't get removed with the remove-disabledmonitoringobject powershell command. I tried the -debug argument but it showed no errors.
    Friday, April 8, 2011 9:04 PM
  • Delete and readded our clients, no desktops in the server group :)
    Friday, April 8, 2011 9:29 PM