none
Batch Script Question - REG QUERY results

Question

• I have finally figured out why my script is not doing what I thought it should do, but do not understand how to fix it.  

I have a Windows 7 64 bit PC.  get different results when I run this command:  and run this REG QUERY command: 

REG QUERY HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall

When I run the command from C:\Windows\SysWOW64\cmd.exe, the results I actually see are from HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall

When I run the command from C:\Windows\system32\cmd.exe, the results I see are from HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall as expected.

The actual problem is that I am testing the script and running it from my PC thinking everything works because when I open up cmd.exe, it opens the one in system32.  When the script is run by SCCM, it seems to use the cmd.exe in SysWOW64.  

I have read a couple things online, but they did not make sense to me and was hoping someone could expalin to me why I get basically false results when running the reg query on the sysWOW64 cmd.exe

Thanks.  

Matt

Matt Dillon

Tuesday, October 15, 2013 7:42 PM

Answers