none
Replication failing for drive on file cluster RRS feed

• Question

• We have two servers in our file cluster. DPM is protecting the file service cluster in the protection group. On one particular drive I have been unable to create new recovery points since 10/26.

All of our drives are iSCSI drives that reside on our SAN. Our SAN is a Dell Equalogic. The drive in question has a script that runs every 2 hours and copies pervasive database files to this drive from another server. The script takes an hour to run. In other words this drive is almost constantly being written to.

The error that DPM is giving when I try and run a consistency check on this drive can sometimes be different. Today the error is...

"The Operation failed since DPM was unable to access the file/folder

*insert file path here* on *inset active cluster node here*

This could be due to the file/folder being corrupt or the file system on the volume being corrupt. (ID 2036)"

The drive is functioning perfectly, so I would be quick to rule corruption out. This drive is purged of a certain date range of data on a regular basis.

When looking at the role summary events, I see the following error almost at the exact time DPM gave its error...

"The shadow copies of Volume X were aborted because the shadow copy storage failed to grow."

This drive is 200g in size and has on average 20g of available space. If this is a storage space issue, what is the recommended amount of free space to have on a drive for DPM to be able to protect the data?

Tuesday, November 16, 2010 4:00 PM

Answers

• Recently the data that writes to this directory every 2 hours has been moved to a new mass storage server. Now this drive only gets written two twice a day. With the removal of this data the free disk space has dropped considerably. When I ran a consistency check again, it synced and the error cleared.

The consistency check is unusually slow on this drive for some reason. The drive is part of a file cluster share. What I believe was happening is that the consistency check was taking so long and this drive was being written to so often that it was out of sync before it ever finished. Now that it has a little more breathing room it is happy.

Thanks for your help Geetha. I appreciate your attempts.

Friday, December 3, 2010 8:06 PM

All replies

• Yesterday I cleared out some files and increased the free disk space to +70gb. I began a consistency check when I left yesterday. At 2am this morning the message occured again on the server that the shadow copy storage failed to grow. Some drives that are much larger have less space available than this.

I am running DPM 2007. I would like to be as informative as possible with this. Any other information I can give that would help generate some ideas?

Wednesday, November 17, 2010 2:46 PM
  • Hi OmnilS,

Thanks for reaching DPM Forums.

1. Has the Jobs ever succeeded for the PG under issue?

2. Did the CC job failed upfront without any data transfer? Or some data got transferred?

3. Whats your PG settings for the Recovery Points retention?

4. Can you check whats the free space on Diff Area volume for the Replica? Can you try increasing it?

5. Are there any other active alerts for this PG in DPM Alerts?

Thanks,

GeethaKrishna[MSFT]

/** As is provided without warranties and confers no rights**/

Friday, November 26, 2010 9:04 AM
  • Thanks for responding Geetha.

Yes the job has succeeded in the past. We have a whole month of recovery points from September 27 to October 26.

The job does not fail immediately. It runs for almost a full day transfering data before it fails.

Right now the retention on the PG is set to 30 days. It synchronizes every 45 minutes and gets recovery points at 8:00am and 6:00pm daily.

I'm sorry what do you mean by Diff Area volume? Right now the disk allocation is as follows.

The data size is 200gb and the replica volume is set to 275.00gb while the recovery point volume is set to 1,250gb. It is only using 120.48gb of the replica volume but it is using 922.11gb of the recovery point volume. I can increase these if we want to test it out.

The only other active alerts are tape backup failures because there are no valid recovery points.

Thanks again for your help. Look forward to hearing back from you.

Monday, November 29, 2010 2:57 PM
  • Recently the data that writes to this directory every 2 hours has been moved to a new mass storage server. Now this drive only gets written two twice a day. With the removal of this data the free disk space has dropped considerably. When I ran a consistency check again, it synced and the error cleared.

The consistency check is unusually slow on this drive for some reason. The drive is part of a file cluster share. What I believe was happening is that the consistency check was taking so long and this drive was being written to so often that it was out of sync before it ever finished. Now that it has a little more breathing room it is happy.

Thanks for your help Geetha. I appreciate your attempts.

Friday, December 3, 2010 8:06 PM