none
Error 360 after expanding the storage pool - DPM 2012 RRS feed

• Question

• Hello Everyone-

We recently expanded our storage pool by adding an additional 2x2TB disks and rebuilding the array. I can see in Server Manager > Disk Management that the space is available and unallocated space and DPM shows the available storage space as 3.5TB free of the 10TB allocated. Yet, when I try to create a new protection group I get the following:

"Error 360: The operation failed due to a virtual disk service error
    Error details: VdsError: The specified disk extent size exceeds the size of free disk space."

I'm trying to create a PG of a child partition of a Hyper-V virtual machine that is about 20GB in size. Obviously there is more than enough available space. I have exhausted everything technet has had to offer on this subject, most of the information was about DPM 2010 and we are using 2012. The sector size of the disks are all 512, I read that could be an issue. The only other thing I saw was that the disk was set to read-only, using diskpart I verified that it was indeed not set to read only.

Does anyone know of anything else I could try?

Friday, December 28, 2012 3:23 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Yes, very good, please work with Dell to correct that. Once diskpart.exe sees the new space properly and you can make volumes in windows disk management, then DPM should aso work.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

• Marked as answer by BrianCTS Friday, December 28, 2012 5:27 PM
    Friday, December 28, 2012 5:14 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Please open an administrative command prompt, then run diskpart.exe
    Once in the diskpart console type: list disk

Copy, paste the results into notepad.

Now open a DPM Powershell windows, and type:
    get-dpmdisk <dpmsever_name>

Again copy, paste the results into notepad.

Post the restults from both commands for me to review.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Friday, December 28, 2012 4:57 PM
  • Thanks for the reply Mike. Anything else I can do to help troubleshoot, please let me know.

Diskpart results:

DISKPART> list disk

Disk ###  Status         Size     Free     Dyn  Gpt
      --------  -------------  -------  -------  ---  ---
      Disk 0    Online          439 GB    87 GB
      Disk 1    Online           10 TB     8 GB   *    *

DISKPART>

Powershell results:

PS C:\Program Files\Microsoft DPM\DPM\bin> get-dpmdisk prddpmbhm02

Name          Status            NtDiskId Total Capaci Unallocated  Type
                                                       ty        Space
    ----          ------            -------- ------------ ------------ ----
    DELL PERC ... Healthy                  1     10647 GB      3557 GB Dynamic

Friday, December 28, 2012 5:02 PM
  • Hi,

According to the diskpart.exe output, Disk 1 is only reporting 8GB free.  I suspect if you try to make a simple volume on disk-1 greated that 8GB using windows disk management, that it will also fail.  Can you confirm.

Friday, December 28, 2012 5:08 PM
  • Ah ha.. I think you are onto something here Mike. I tried creating a 10GB simple volume with the 3.5TB of unallocated space and got an error "There is not enough space available on the disks to complete this operation". So it would seem that the issue isn't isolated to DPM itself, but rather to our storage not seeing the new space appropriately.
    Friday, December 28, 2012 5:12 PM
  • Hi,

Yes, very good, please work with Dell to correct that. Once diskpart.exe sees the new space properly and you can make volumes in windows disk management, then DPM should aso work.

• Marked as answer by BrianCTS Friday, December 28, 2012 5:27 PM
    Friday, December 28, 2012 5:14 PM
  • I just rebooted the DPM server to see if that fixes it, never underestimate the power of a reboot.. plus I don't think it's been rebooted since the array was rebuilt.

If that doesn't work I will work with dell to fix that issue. Thanks for your help Mike, I'll report back once I resolve the issue so you can mark this as solved.

Friday, December 28, 2012 5:16 PM
  • Well, the reboot performed a late christmas miracle just as I hoped for.

Diskpart now displays Disk 1 as Size 10TB and Free 3557 GB :)

Thanks again for the help Mike. I was able to create my protection groups without error.

• Proposed as answer by Andrey Vertexx Friday, February 9, 2018 2:36 AM
    Friday, December 28, 2012 5:27 PM
  • Hi,

Very nice, glad it was something sinple - have a happy new year !!

Friday, December 28, 2012 5:28 PM
  • Hi from 2018! Thanx for the answer!
    Friday, February 9, 2018 2:31 AM