How can I create a shared calender. (not a public calender or or room resource) RRS feed

• Question

• Hello all!

I would like to create a calendar in exchange that will be used by 5 employees and then only.
    So far I crated a security group and added the users to it. I don't want to create '
    Calendar in the Public Folders sections because we are moving away from Public Folders.
    I also don't want to create it as a room mailbox either, because there is no
    physical room associated with it. I just want these users to have read / write access to it.

Thanks in advance!

Phillip

Phil Balderos

Monday, February 2, 2015 8:01 PM

Answers

• I would highly suggest creating it as a room calendar, but only to allow these people access to it (as delegates). If you wish to allow conflicting "meetings", you want to AllowConflicts.  And to allow the entire meeting to be added, remove all the ticks on the Resource Information properties page. To do this all at once, after you've created your new room mailbox, run the following single command:

Set-CalendarProcessing -Identity <new "room mailbox" alias> -AllowConflicts $true -ResourceDelegates <comma delimited list of delegate aliases> -OrganizerInfo $false -RemovePrivateProperty $false -AddOrganizerToSubject $false -DeleteNonCalendarItems $false -DeleteSubject $false -DeleteComments $false -DeleteAttachments $false -AllBookInPolicy $false -BookInPolicy <same comma delimited list of delegates>

Once you have done this, you will need to change the default permissions on the calendar.  To do this, run the following command:

Set-MailboxFolderPermission <new "room mailbox" alias>:\Calendar -User Default -AccessRights None

After this, only the people you have listed as delegates will be able to see anything on the calendar, and only they will be able to book the calendar.

Monday, February 2, 2015 8:32 PM

All replies

• I would highly suggest creating it as a room calendar, but only to allow these people access to it (as delegates). If you wish to allow conflicting "meetings", you want to AllowConflicts.  And to allow the entire meeting to be added, remove all the ticks on the Resource Information properties page. To do this all at once, after you've created your new room mailbox, run the following single command:

Set-CalendarProcessing -Identity <new "room mailbox" alias> -AllowConflicts $true -ResourceDelegates <comma delimited list of delegate aliases> -OrganizerInfo $false -RemovePrivateProperty $false -AddOrganizerToSubject $false -DeleteNonCalendarItems $false -DeleteSubject $false -DeleteComments $false -DeleteAttachments $false -AllBookInPolicy $false -BookInPolicy <same comma delimited list of delegates>

Once you have done this, you will need to change the default permissions on the calendar.  To do this, run the following command:

Set-MailboxFolderPermission <new "room mailbox" alias>:\Calendar -User Default -AccessRights None

After this, only the people you have listed as delegates will be able to see anything on the calendar, and only they will be able to book the calendar.

Monday, February 2, 2015 8:32 PM
  • Hi,

In your case, you can create a shared calendar in Outlook. Here are steps for your reference:

1. Open Outlook and click Calendar on the navigation bar at the bottom of the screen. Click Home, then Open Calendar and then click Create New Blank Calendar.

2. Give this calendar a name and also choose where in your mailbox you'd like to save it. Click OK.

3. Select Share and then Calendar Permissions to share this calendar.

Hope this can be helpful to you.

Best regards,

Amy Wang
    TechNet Community Support

• Proposed as answer by Amy.Wang Tuesday, February 17, 2015 6:01 AM
    Tuesday, February 3, 2015 9:37 AM
  • Amy, the shortcoming of a shared mailbox is that it doesn't easily allow delegation management (you don't see those tabs on the properties pages of the mailbox).  And rather than grant these users full access, isn't it simpler to allow them to be delegates?
    Tuesday, February 3, 2015 1:16 PM