ISO reason why stsadm -o backup might not terminate at the end of an operation RRS feed

• Question

• I have a scheduled task that goes off at 8pm each evening, starting a vbs script (legacy - have not had time to rewrite in powershell... sorry) that reads through a list of our mysites and performs a full backup of each mysite to a location on a network disk.

Last night, the script ran through about 1000 users, got to a particular user, the 14 hive shows the backup for that user started, has a Completed message, and then no further backup messages.

When I looked in the task manager (11 hours later) what I found was that the stsadm process was still in the process queue. Normally, at the end of backing up the site collection, the stsadm.exe returns to the vbs script which then continues with the next user.

Last night, it didn't do that.

The site collection in question was less than 2 megabytes long - it only takes about a minute for the script to do that backup.

Interestingly enough, a couple of hours later, the next scheduled task for backup began, and that script ran through to completion, as did a third scheduled task.

So only the first task of the 3 backup scripts didn't run.

These tasks have been running daily for about 6 weeks now with only one other issue - last week around mid-week a similar thing happened.

We have not changed SharePoint or the backup scripts. And in any case, changing those should not prevent an stsadm executable from terminating once it had completed a backup.

Does anyone have any ideas on what to check? The only error in the 14 hive says:

02/18/2014 20:57:00.07  STSADM.EXE (0x23F8)                      0x10A8 SharePoint Foundation          Performance                    nask Monitorable An SPRequest object was reclaimed by the garbage collector instead of being explicitly freed.  To avoid wasting system resources, dispose of this object or its parent (such as an SPSite or SPWeb) as soon as you are done using it.  Allocation Id: {437856C9-07EF-43CA-AD85-0D613D39D3EB}  To determine where this object was allocated, set Microsoft.SharePoint.Administration.SPWebService.ContentService.CollectSPRequestAllocationCallStacks = true. 
    02/18/2014 20:57:00.07  STSADM.EXE (0x23F8)                      0x10A8 SharePoint Foundation          Performance                    nask Unexpected An SPRequest object was not disposed before the end of this thread.  To avoid wasting system resources, dispose of this object or its parent (such as an SPSite or SPWeb) as soon as you are done using it.  Due to flags specified at object creation, this will not be freed until processed by garbage collection.  Allocation Id: {6EC33D34-C44E-47A4-846C-295C28C1FEF7}  To determine where this object was allocated, set Microsoft.SharePoint.Administration.SPWebService.ContentService.CollectSPRequestAllocationCallStacks = true. 

However, we are not running any custom C# code for backup and recovery. The only thing that SharePoint would see would be the stsadm.exe command itself, and we don't have any control regarding SPRequest objects with it.

Wednesday, February 19, 2014 3:20 PM

All replies

• It sounds like you are backing up individual site collections. Is this correct? If so, are you also performing other backups to capture the farm, services, web apps, etc?

Do you know when the backup job "completed" for the last time? I'm not sure that these exceptions are related.

How many site collections are you backing up?

Wednesday, February 19, 2014 6:48 PM
  • 1. It sounds like you are backing up individual site collections. Is this correct?

Yes, that is correct.

2. If so, are you also performing other backups to capture the farm, services, web apps, etc?

No, not yet. We are having daily sql server backups of the database itself.  We are moving from the old home grown .bat/.vbs/stsadm scripts to a vendor product which will be able to provide us a better backup environment this year.

3. Do you know when the backup job "completed" for the last time? I'm not sure that these exceptions are related.

I don't know that those exceptions are related either - but I couldn't find anything in the logs that looked related.

That site collection was successfully backed up Monday night and then last night.

I talked to the admins of the drive where the backups go, to the OS admins of the machine that runs the backups, and to the SQL admins of the underlyging database. There was no errors during the period where the backup began, appears to have completed, but the stsadm did not terminate.

4. How many site collections are you backing up?

During that 2 hr window, there are approximately 1100 personal mysite site collections that are backed up - sequentially.

Thursday, February 20, 2014 1:01 PM
  • So somewhere in the last 100 site collections it stopped working?

Any idea which site collection didn't work? Does the issue happen when you run the backup script again?

Thursday, February 20, 2014 6:35 PM
  • Technically, the 14 hive log has a "Completed backup" log entry and there is a backup file by the name used on the command line. The stsadm just didn't exit after that point.

Last night, the backup ran fine backing up that site collection as well as all the others.

I just can't figure why the stsadm.exe didn't complete.

Thursday, February 20, 2014 8:14 PM