none
Filtering activities under a WBS in Project 2010 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

how can I filter all activities under a specific WBS element?
    I don't mind using VBA.

thank you,
    Yuval
    Monday, January 28, 2013 6:48 AM

Answers

• Yuval, When you set up the custom text field, specify a formula for it (under custom attributes, the radio button for formula). When you click on the formula button you get a dialog box where you can enter the formula detail - which will be   "#"+[WBS]         

Just below the Formula radio button, there is another button against Calculation for group and summary task rows - the button is marked 'Use Formula' - select this.

This has the effect of populating all the tasks (including the summary row tasks) with the value of the WBS - in text format and with # as a prefix. Now you can specify a filter using your new custom field, the 'contains' operator and matching for the section of WBS you're interested in - in your case #1.1 

I'm going to let others suggest more elegant methods. I just offer one that works.

Graham

• Marked as answer by Yuval.p Thursday, January 31, 2013 2:40 PM
    Monday, January 28, 2013 7:25 PM

All replies

• You don't say what you are trying to do and only looking for "how". One "how" way would be to put Project's WBS field on the table (right mouse click on column headers, select "insert column", pick "WBS").  Then click on the little downward arrow and specify a filter.  Another "how" way under the View menu use the filter pull down list to pick "More Filters ..." and create what you want.  You can indeed use VBA if you want; but try these first. 

--rms www.rmschneider.com

Monday, January 28, 2013 7:22 AM
  • well, I'll explain what i need. I have a complex schedule and would like to see only a specific WBS and all the items under it (it has several levels of WBS under). I tried to create a filter, but I cannot see an option to filter all the elements under a WBS. I don't want to update the WBS of all the activities to this specific WBS.i

In the new filter menu the options are: "does not equal", "equals", "contains" etc.

Yuval
    Monday, January 28, 2013 2:00 PM
  • Yuval, there may be a more elegant way of achieving this but here's one approach you could consider:

• Define a custom task text field (WBS Text) with the formula   "#"+[WBS]  (with Apply formula at summary rows)
    • Set up a filter along the lines of          WBS Text contains #1.2        Which should return all the tasks at any level from the 1.2. section of your project.

The purpose of the # symbol is to identify the beginning of the WBS code and exclude values like 3.1.2

You can get more elaborate with prompts for the WBS code or multiples

Graham

Monday, January 28, 2013 2:27 PM
  • Thank you Graham,
    if the WBS I am looking for is 1.1, what is the exact syntax that i should use?
    what do you mean by "with Apply formula at summary rows"?

and you also said there is an elegant way to do that. I would appreciate if you can share.

Thanks!
    Yuval
    Monday, January 28, 2013 3:18 PM
  • Yuval, When you set up the custom text field, specify a formula for it (under custom attributes, the radio button for formula). When you click on the formula button you get a dialog box where you can enter the formula detail - which will be   "#"+[WBS]         

Just below the Formula radio button, there is another button against Calculation for group and summary task rows - the button is marked 'Use Formula' - select this.

This has the effect of populating all the tasks (including the summary row tasks) with the value of the WBS - in text format and with # as a prefix. Now you can specify a filter using your new custom field, the 'contains' operator and matching for the section of WBS you're interested in - in your case #1.1 

I'm going to let others suggest more elegant methods. I just offer one that works.

Graham

• Marked as answer by Yuval.p Thursday, January 31, 2013 2:40 PM
    Monday, January 28, 2013 7:25 PM
  • Thanks again Graham.
    the only problem that still exists is that i need to ensure that all the activities that reside beneath the specific WBS get the same prefix.
    this is not done automatically since many times i move activities between WBS elements, or copy-paste from another WBS element. when i do this, the WBS of these activities will not get the "Parent" prefix.

so now i have to manually change the WBS of these tasks.

if someone has another solution i would appreciate it!

Thanks again,
    Yuval
    Tuesday, January 29, 2013 7:33 AM