Troubleshooting (from the server side) Corrupt OST issues RRS feed

• Question

• We recently have had more than normal (about 5 in the last week) OST corruption issues. Besides what I list below, what are some troubleshooting steps I can take on the server to see if there is something wrong with the server? We have a desktop team that typically rebuilds the OST for the user and they don't think anything is wrong with the client.

Exchange 2010 Sp3 in 2 site DAG. 4DB's totaling about 500GB of MB's. Users MB's that were corrupt were from 5GB to 20GB. Users are Outlook 2010 with updates. Mix of cached and non-cached mode. No user side error messages and typically Outlook just will hang when the corruption occurs. If we can run Outlook in safe mode, it opens up.

Exchange servers don't have any glaring issues in the event logs, seem to be running smooth, recent reboots,  no viruses, no storage issues, no power failures.

Are there any Exchange logs or PS commands I should be running to do additional checking? I'm wondering if were starting to get users with to large of MB's (some are opening other user MB's which will put more load on the system).

Thanks in advance!  

Saturday, December 13, 2014 2:38 PM

Answers

• ost's are just a client thing and there is nothing on the server side that can be checked or that I can think of that would corrupt an ost.

Having said that, .osts are only used when the client is in cached mode, so I am not sure what you are referring to when you state that some clients are in online ( non-cached) mode.

Twitter!: Please Note: My Posts are provided “AS IS” without warranty of any kind, either expressed or implied.

• Proposed as answer by Amy.Wang Tuesday, December 23, 2014 1:20 AM
    • Marked as answer by Amy.Wang Wednesday, December 24, 2014 9:29 AM
    Saturday, December 13, 2014 3:27 PM
  • Hi,

Agree with Andy. Ost file is used by Outlook in Cached Exchange Mode to store a copy of mailbox for offline access, it is a client thing. What's more, if Outlook safe mode works well, the issue is related to add-ins. It is recommended to disable the add-ins one by one to determine which add-ins caused this issue.

Hope my clarification can be helpful.

Best regards,

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Amy Wang
    TechNet Community Support

Monday, December 15, 2014 6:14 AM
  • Hi,

Have you checked the suggestion I provided?

Is there any update with your issue?

Best regards,

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Amy Wang

• Marked as answer by hoover11 Wednesday, January 7, 2015 12:24 PM
    Friday, December 19, 2014 1:23 AM

All replies

• ost's are just a client thing and there is nothing on the server side that can be checked or that I can think of that would corrupt an ost.

Having said that, .osts are only used when the client is in cached mode, so I am not sure what you are referring to when you state that some clients are in online ( non-cached) mode.

Twitter!: Please Note: My Posts are provided “AS IS” without warranty of any kind, either expressed or implied.

Saturday, December 13, 2014 3:27 PM
  • Hi,

Agree with Andy. Ost file is used by Outlook in Cached Exchange Mode to store a copy of mailbox for offline access, it is a client thing. What's more, if Outlook safe mode works well, the issue is related to add-ins. It is recommended to disable the add-ins one by one to determine which add-ins caused this issue.

Hope my clarification can be helpful.

Best regards,

Amy Wang

Monday, December 15, 2014 6:14 AM
  • Hi,

Have you checked the suggestion I provided?

Is there any update with your issue?

Best regards,

Amy Wang

• Marked as answer by hoover11 Wednesday, January 7, 2015 12:24 PM
    Friday, December 19, 2014 1:23 AM
  • Thank you for all the help and assistance (and sorry for the late response). We've been archiving some of the larger user MB's and this has helped reduce the client OST size. Have a great day. 
    Wednesday, January 7, 2015 12:25 PM