Will Windows 7 function for my organization (and myself)? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I already own the hardware upon which, and software that I wish to install—Windows 7.  Prior to my pourchaing the Windows 7 software licence/product-key-code and media, I began a 90 day trial installation on my machine, which is, at the very least, the prototype machine for my organization.

I purchased the Windows 7 media and product keys in confidence that I would be able to resolve my issue, and that there would be no reason that, though, at the time my trial installation wouldn't worlk properly [I cannot boot/logon in safe mode] that we could resolve this.

My hardware meets the minimum requirements, and Windows Xp Prfessional functioned perfectly well on this machine.  However, now I cannot re-install my copy of Windows Xp (I tried the other day) and have been informed that the maximum number of activations had been achieved) and Windows 7 Enterprise still will not boot (even after a clean re-instalation) and logon in safe mode, whiich is required for reasons I shouldn't eeed to explain to anyone in this forum, of course.

Here are my basic specs, I can't seem to resolve the problem without experimenting with the trial software, and I don't know if Microsoft wants the trial software used this way, I.E., as a learning tool for delployment/repair strategies??...

OS Name Microsoft Windows 7 Enterprise
    Version 6.1.7600 Build 7600
    Other OS Description  Not Available
    OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
    System Name GOD
    System Manufacturer MicronPC_MPC
    System Model D845GRG_
    System Type X86-based PC
    Processor Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.40GHz, 2400 Mhz, 1 Core(s), 1 Logical Processor(s)
    BIOS Version/Date Intel Corp. RG84510A.86A.0028.P15.0302260937, 2/26/2003
    SMBIOS Version 2.3
    Windows Directory C:\Windows
    System Directory C:\Windows\system32
    Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
    Locale United States
    Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "6.1.7600.16385"
    User Name GOD\Installation User
    Time Zone Pacific Daylight Time
    Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 1.00 GB
    Total Physical Memory 1.00 GB
    Available Physical Memory 565 MB
    Total Virtual Memory 2.00 GB
    Available Virtual Memory 1.48 GB
    Page File Space 1.00 GB
    Page File C:\pagefile.sys

Thank you ༎ལྡྷུན་གྱི་གྲུབ་པ་པདྨ་འགྲོ་འདུལ༎
    Friday, June 10, 2011 9:56 PM

Answers

• Just trying to help, mate.  But your are welcome to help yourself.
    Wednesday, June 22, 2011 6:59 PM
  • The hardware is definitely not the optimum choice for Windows 7. Intel only supports that motherboard to Windows XP.

I have installed Windows 7 32-bit on some 845 based computers.

So, for your testing and evaluation, boot to the installation dvd, select repair options, select command prompt, enter diskpart and tap the enter button.

type

List Disk & tap enter

type

select disk 0 & tap enter

type

clean & tap enter

type

create partiton primary & tap enter

type

active & tap enter

type

exit & tap enter

Now close out of repair and restart with the installation dvd and install Windows 7. You now have a clean disk with no old boot records or partitons to cause problems with your installation.

If you receive the same errors after this install, then you have a corrupted installation dvd. Burn a new one at a slower speed and verify when complete.

Enter F8 after Bios POST and select the SAFE MODE from there.

Also, minimum system requirments; http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/products/system-requirements
    Thursday, June 23, 2011 12:27 PM

All replies

• As far as I understand, you can use the trial software for evaluation (very broad term) and to test depoyment strategies.  It may not be used in a production environment.

If you phone Microsoft Product Activation, and explain your situation, I'm sure they will allow you to activate your XP again.

I advise running the following tool on your XP machines before attempting to install Windows 7:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=1b544e90-7659-4bd9-9e51-2497c146af15&displaylang=en

This is the Windows 7 upgrade advisor.

Saturday, June 11, 2011 10:55 PM
  • This "solution" offered nothing that I could not derive with my current operating system (Microsoft, as well as others.)
    Wednesday, June 22, 2011 6:09 PM
  • Just trying to help, mate.  But your are welcome to help yourself.
    Wednesday, June 22, 2011 6:59 PM
  • The hardware is definitely not the optimum choice for Windows 7. Intel only supports that motherboard to Windows XP.

I have installed Windows 7 32-bit on some 845 based computers.

So, for your testing and evaluation, boot to the installation dvd, select repair options, select command prompt, enter diskpart and tap the enter button.

type

List Disk & tap enter

type

select disk 0 & tap enter

type

clean & tap enter

type

create partiton primary & tap enter

type

active & tap enter

type

exit & tap enter

Now close out of repair and restart with the installation dvd and install Windows 7. You now have a clean disk with no old boot records or partitons to cause problems with your installation.

If you receive the same errors after this install, then you have a corrupted installation dvd. Burn a new one at a slower speed and verify when complete.

Enter F8 after Bios POST and select the SAFE MODE from there.

Also, minimum system requirments; http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/products/system-requirements
    Thursday, June 23, 2011 12:27 PM