none
Defaulting Tasks to 8 hours per day RRS feed

• Question

• I've just been upgraded from MSP 2007 to 2010. I had a custom map to monitor resource usage per week from the tasks I imported from a csv file. Since my upgrade, Project defaults all tasks to 8 hours per day between the start and finish dates, previously it used the duration that I had entered. For example: Start: 09/07/2012 Finish: 13/07/2012 Duration: 4 hours. This now defaults to 40 hours (8 per day). I'm sure there's an option to stop it doing this on import but I can't find it! Can anyone assist me?

Thanks

Jimi

Wednesday, July 18, 2012 7:07 AM

Answers

• Jimi

Perhaps this may help.  As is you are importing both task and assignment data which are two separate imports or tables.  I was able to import your data as you presented with succesful results with the following steps:

1.  Import Task data using fields Task_Name, Start_Date and Finish_Date (Do not include the Unique_ID in the import project assigns this)

2.  Import Assignment data using fields Task_Name, Scheduled_Work and Resource_Name (Select The Append option on the third screen of the import wizard).

Hope this Helps

• Marked as answer by Jimi_Project Wednesday, July 18, 2012 2:03 PM
    Wednesday, July 18, 2012 1:35 PM

All replies

• Hello Jimi,

The issue is not clear. Can you pls provide more information on what data you import and what you see on Project after importing ? 

Regards.

Wednesday, July 18, 2012 8:00 AM
  • The data I import is:

Task Name

Start

Finish

Duration

Resource Name

Once imported the Duration defaults to 8 hours per day per task between the Start & Finish dates rather than the Duration specified on the import.

I can prepare an example or screenshots if that would help?

Thanks for your time

Jimi

Wednesday, July 18, 2012 8:54 AM
  • >> I can prepare an example or screenshots if that would help?

Pls do so.

Wednesday, July 18, 2012 9:19 AM
  • This is my CSV import file, as you can see we've got various hours over a 12 week period.

This the result after importing into MSP, the hours have been defaulted to 8 hours per day over the 12 week period.

I need to stop this happening!

Wednesday, July 18, 2012 9:25 AM
  • Hi Jimi,

Maybe it would be helpful:

I think in Microsoft Project there are two values: Duration and Work

Duration is directly related to start and finish of a task. So if you set start on Mon, Finish on Fri - Duration will be 40h.

Work however should be possible to be set differently. So from Mon to Fri the Work you can set to 4h.

Wednesday, July 18, 2012 10:33 AM
  • Thanks for your reply.

I've amended my map and changed the import to Work rather than duration but it's the same result. 

I'm wondering whether it's the "Start" & "Finish" elements that are incorrect, is there another date field I can use here?

Wednesday, July 18, 2012 11:55 AM
  • Jimi

Perhaps this may help.  As is you are importing both task and assignment data which are two separate imports or tables.  I was able to import your data as you presented with succesful results with the following steps:

1.  Import Task data using fields Task_Name, Start_Date and Finish_Date (Do not include the Unique_ID in the import project assigns this)

2.  Import Assignment data using fields Task_Name, Scheduled_Work and Resource_Name (Select The Append option on the third screen of the import wizard).

Hope this Helps

• Marked as answer by Jimi_Project Wednesday, July 18, 2012 2:03 PM
    Wednesday, July 18, 2012 1:35 PM
  • That works! Thanks ever so much, not had view of my resource plan for the last 7 days as a result of this...

The only issue is I have a number of "unassigned" tasks now but...I can live with that and everything appears to be there.

Do you know what changes have been made to make this process so much more elongated than it used to be? 

Wednesday, July 18, 2012 2:03 PM
  • Jimi

Happy to be of assistance.  I'm not aware of any changes with regard to task/assignment import over previous versions.  Perhaps other forum participants can shed some light.

Regards

Wednesday, July 18, 2012 2:19 PM