none
Move VM to a new Hyper-V host and keep DPM using the same backup replica RRS feed

• Question

• I have DPM 2012R2 backing up a VM running on a hyper-V protected host.

I need to move this VM to a new hyper-V host. VM SID name etc remains exactly the same.

Problem: after I move this VM to a new hyper-V I need to create the backup from scratch and I cant use / take advantage of the current backups located in the replica.

Is there a way to configure DPM to backup this VM from the new hyper-V host but merge/continue to do it on the existing backup replica that came from the original hyper-V host that is not currently hosting this VM ?

Or.

• Edited by shedon77 Sunday, January 20, 2019 2:02 PM
    Sunday, January 20, 2019 1:43 PM

Answers

• Hello!

Unfortunately this won't be possible to accomplish. The reason why is because the location of the Hyper-V VM will be on a different protected server and volume, and this is how DPM keeps track of the data sources.

The only thing you can do in this case without losing any data is to:

1. Stop protection of your Hyper-V VM with the retain data option (your protected data will be shown as inactive protection).

2. Move the Hyper-V VM to your other Hyper-V host.

3. Re-add the Hyper-V VM to a protection group (this will create a new replica and start making new backups).

4. Once you have enough backups for your Hyper-V VM, you can consider deleting the inactive replica.

Best regards,
    Leon

Blog: https://thesystemcenterblog.com LinkedIn:

• Marked as answer by shedon77 Tuesday, January 22, 2019 2:05 PM
    Sunday, January 20, 2019 3:17 PM

All replies

• Hello!

Unfortunately this won't be possible to accomplish. The reason why is because the location of the Hyper-V VM will be on a different protected server and volume, and this is how DPM keeps track of the data sources.

The only thing you can do in this case without losing any data is to:

1. Stop protection of your Hyper-V VM with the retain data option (your protected data will be shown as inactive protection).

2. Move the Hyper-V VM to your other Hyper-V host.

3. Re-add the Hyper-V VM to a protection group (this will create a new replica and start making new backups).

4. Once you have enough backups for your Hyper-V VM, you can consider deleting the inactive replica.

Best regards,
    Leon

• Marked as answer by shedon77 Tuesday, January 22, 2019 2:05 PM
    Sunday, January 20, 2019 3:17 PM
  • Thanks for quick response.

I assumed this will be the case.

What about the online replicas of this Hyper-V VM ? Same story I guess ....?

Best Regards

Monday, January 21, 2019 8:52 AM
  • It's the same thing I'm afraid.

Monday, January 21, 2019 8:53 AM
  • This works if your Hyper-V host is running 2016. Choose the import option, then choose to keep the same ID on the import. Please do not upgrade the virtual machine to 8.0 (which will make it then use RCT) and cause a complete resync
    Thursday, January 24, 2019 5:19 PM