Registry is still in use even after reboot on Windows XP SP3 RRS feed

• Question

• I have the following problem: I reboot my Windows XP SP3 Professional machine, then wait for 30 minutes and then logon. After my logon I get events 1517 and 1524 ("Windows cannot unload your classes registry file - it is still in use by other applications or services....")

Googling only gave me UPHClean as a solution. But UPHClean is supposed to help performing a clean loggoff, releasing all the resources. But why do I get these events after logging on which was done after a reboot? Doesn't a reboot forcefully release all the resources? How come registry can be still in use by other services or applications after reboot?

Thanks! Vassili

Tuesday, May 31, 2011 10:01 AM

All replies

• This is also where I would recommend the use of UPHClean.  Have you noted the times of the events.  Do these events definitely occur after shutdown?  In other words, do the events get logged in the boot-up sequence?

If so, it can have absolutely nothing to do with your last logon, and is something to do with the logon process.

Wednesday, June 1, 2011 5:17 PM
  • This is also where I would recommend the use of UPHClean.  Have you noted the times of the events.  Do these events definitely occur after shutdown?  In other words, do the events get logged in the boot-up sequence

I have the following timing of events:

- 07:27 Warning event 1524 just before the shutdown (makes sense, since I have not installed UPHClean)

- 07:28 Info event 100 from WControl, machine just rebooted

- 07:58 Two Warnings 1517 and 1524 right after logging in.

I am sorry, I did not get your explanation why the registry may still be in use after 30 minutes after a reboot, just after the first logon. Or what other information may be of help?

Friday, June 3, 2011 10:19 AM
  • Hi VassliK,

Please refer to the following article:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/837115

Friday, June 3, 2011 11:50 AM
  • Hi Big Teddy,

I read the articles that you mentioned. But it applies to the logoff. What I am doing ia much more - a complete reboot. The article does not mention a shutdown or a reboot. So the question remains - can the registry be still in use even after a reboot?

Thanks, Vassili

Friday, June 3, 2011 12:39 PM
  • In order to either shutdown, or reboot, the session must log off first.  So, in other words, logoff, shutdown, and restart all require logging off.

In answer to your question, absolutely not, the registry cannot still be in use after a reboot.  In fact, the User Hive (the user part of the registry) should be unloaded upon logoff.  I believe this is what is not happening correctly.  I have had this situation myself.  UPHClean is a benign service.  It does not negatively impact on anything, but is simply a fix for exactly your issue.

You are getting these events upon reboot, but they are referring to the problem it had logging off last time.

Please install UPHClean and see if your problem persisits.

• Proposed as answer by Bigteddy Wednesday, August 3, 2011 9:50 AM
    Friday, June 3, 2011 5:08 PM