none
Hiding project tasks from resources for an entire project RRS feed

• Question

• We have a  need to create, resource, and puiblish a very large project schedule.     The puiblish requirement is because we need to push this file out to the reporting database.   We DO NOT want the resoruces to track time against the file - nor do we even want them to see it in their timesheet/tasks (yet we do want it published).      Is this possible?

Thanks,

Randy

Tuesday, June 5, 2012 5:51 PM

Answers

• Hi Randy,

Do you need the project file to contain real resources or could you just use local resources in their place?  I believe you could just use local resources instead of enterprise resources so no one would see any tasks in PWA but all the information would remain in place.

Outside of that, there is a column in Project Pro that you can add called "Publish".  You can set the flag to No and the task will not get pushed out to PWA but will still get reported on.

Just a couple thoughts.

-Tyler

Tuesday, June 5, 2012 8:48 PM
  • I just tested this and the publish flag has no impact on if the task information shows up in the reporting database.

I had 2 tasks with publish to yes. I published and both showed up as expected.

I then changed one of them to NO and published. It still showed up.

I added a third task and set the publish to NO before publishing. I published and it showed up on the RDB.

Brian Kennemer - Project MVP
    DeltaBahn Senior Architect
    endlessly obsessing about Project Server…so that you don’t have to.
    Blog | Twitter | LinkedIn

Wednesday, June 6, 2012 5:56 PM

All replies

• Hi Randy,

Do you need the project file to contain real resources or could you just use local resources in their place?  I believe you could just use local resources instead of enterprise resources so no one would see any tasks in PWA but all the information would remain in place.

Outside of that, there is a column in Project Pro that you can add called "Publish".  You can set the flag to No and the task will not get pushed out to PWA but will still get reported on.

Just a couple thoughts.

-Tyler

Tuesday, June 5, 2012 8:48 PM
  • Hi,

dont unpublish tasks , because unpublished tasks will not be stored in Reporting database.

just adjust your security setting for Project members.

Best Regards 

Jalal Blali MCTS, MCITP

• Proposed as answer by Jalal blali Tuesday, June 5, 2012 10:25 PM
    Tuesday, June 5, 2012 10:24 PM
  • is this because you are just not ready for them to put time against tasks yet but you will later or is it something else?

You could look at marking the resources on the project as Proposed instead of Comitted. This will certainly remove the tasks from their timesheets\My Tasks pages.

Tuesday, June 5, 2012 10:48 PM
  • Hey -

I am pretty sure that switching Publish to the No flag just prevents it from being published out to resources in the Tasks and/or Timesheets view.  I don't think it prevent the tasks from appearing in reports.  Have you found that this is not true?  When our PM's manage large files and want to reduce clutter for resources, they sometime utlize the publish column and we haven't found any issues with it on the reporting side.

-Tyler

• Edited by TylerGJ Wednesday, June 6, 2012 2:12 PM
    Wednesday, June 6, 2012 2:12 PM
  • Thanks for the respone Tyler....   The file must contain Enterprise resources....      I am aware of the "publish" column - but wouldn't marking that to  "no" prevent that task information from being pushed out to the Reporting database.   Essentailly - you are telling the application not to publish "that" task.... and publishing is what pushes it out to the other DB's -  correct?
    Wednesday, June 6, 2012 5:50 PM
  • I just tested this and the publish flag has no impact on if the task information shows up in the reporting database.

I had 2 tasks with publish to yes. I published and both showed up as expected.

I then changed one of them to NO and published. It still showed up.

I added a third task and set the publish to NO before publishing. I published and it showed up on the RDB.

Wednesday, June 6, 2012 5:56 PM
  •  Thanks Brian...   Do you think this is the better option (with the other one being to mark each resoruce as "proposed")?   It seems both actions will accomplish the desired results.

~RK

Wednesday, June 6, 2012 6:09 PM
  • I would go with the Published flag approach. the Proposed option works but it also has some impact on how resources show when people look at the pool to see which resources are available.

Wednesday, June 6, 2012 6:11 PM