Mixed service pack versions within a site? RRS feed

• Question

• We have Exchange 2007 deployed across multiple sites. The sites (including the site with internet facing CAS ) were upgraded to SP3 a while ago.

However we have one site with a SCC cluster where the CMS has more than 22 storage groups and this exposes a bug/'feature' of the SP2 and SP3 installer which causes installation time to be many hours instead of just 20 minutes or so that it usually takes.. that's a whole other story though! So it was decided that this one site would be left with all servers running SP2.

All works well.. no problems.

I've now been asked if we can put the SP3 update on just the HT servers in this otherwise SP2 site. I know that we'd have to put SP3 on the CAS server first and then the HT server, but I'd like to know if we had this mixed SP site ( SP3 on the CAS and HT but SP2 on the mailbox server ) would that be a MS supported environment / would it go against best practices etc ? Specifically looking for any links to documents/KB articles that cover this..

• Edited by Ansev Wednesday, January 25, 2012 9:38 AM
    Wednesday, January 25, 2012 9:37 AM

Answers

• Having HUB and CAS on Sp3

And

Having Mailbox Servers with Sp2

Is not recommended by Microsoft . and its not a Best practice too.

But While Upgrading

CAS

HUB

Then You have to upgrade your

MBX Servers

Regards

Satheshwaran Manoharan

Wednesday, January 25, 2012 3:57 PM

All replies

• Having HUB and CAS on Sp3

And

Having Mailbox Servers with Sp2

Is not recommended by Microsoft . and its not a Best practice too.

But While Upgrading

CAS

HUB

Then You have to upgrade your

MBX Servers

Regards

Satheshwaran Manoharan

Wednesday, January 25, 2012 3:57 PM
  • Is this a documented bug?  In other words, have you opened a case with Microsoft on this issue?

Wednesday, January 25, 2012 4:04 PM
  • Thanks, very helpful
    Friday, January 27, 2012 3:38 PM
  • Yes, MS are aware of it.
    Friday, January 27, 2012 3:40 PM
  • Yes, MS are aware of it.

I would ask this as part of your case with them. While its of course recommended to have all SPs match, its typically not an absolute requirement in your scenario.

Friday, January 27, 2012 3:42 PM