none
MSN Weather app no longer works on multiple Windows 8.1 devices - server issue

Question

• Since 09/28/2015 the Windows 8.1 MSN Weather app won't start anymore. It is stuck at start screen with throbber, no errors in Event Log. It happens on multiple different devices with multiple different Microsoft accounts. I have also tried different Internet connection.

I tried to reinstall the app. It helped for first run but after closed, next time it is stuck again. Although Start screen live tile still updates correctly. The after-reinstall behavior is exactly the same on multiple devices and Microsoft accounts again. It must be a server side issue, please check it.

Steps to reproduce:

You need Windows 8.1 OS, all Windows Updates applied and being logged to account that's connected to a Microsoft account

1. Uninstall MSN Weather app

2. Go to Store and install MSN Weather app again, latest version is 3.0.4.336

3. Run the MSN Weather app, select a city ... works now

4. Close the application (important step !) either by close button (mouse) or the Windows 8 close gesture (touchscreen)

5. Run the MSN Weather app again

Now you should be able to reproduce the issue, the app is stuck at start screen with throbber. If not, repeat steps 4 and 5 multiple times or restart the OS instead of step 4.

The steps above are reproducible on multiple devices, multiple Microsoft accounts and different Windows locales. Disconnecting the MSN Weather app from Microsoft account personalization in step 3 does not help either.

Please do not recommend to run the App Troubleshooter, it can not fix it which is clear from the steps above. There are currently another 4 users having the same issue but I am not sure I can get help (other than generic "run the App Troubleshooter") in the Microsoft Answers forum.

Additional notes: I have also tried to create a new local Windows account that is not connected to a Microsoft account, thus I can not update the MSN Weather app from Store, it is version is 3.0.2.258. This time the issue is not present so the bug is probably caused by the connection to the Microsoft account or recent version of the app or some more compex server side issue.

Thanks.

• Edited by Petr Vones Wednesday, September 30, 2015 11:10 AM
    Wednesday, September 30, 2015 9:33 AM

Answers

• There is updated version 3.0.4.337 that possibly fixes the issue. Since there is no reply from Microsoft nor change log we can speculate only.
    • Marked as answer by Petr Vones Saturday, October 24, 2015 8:13 AM
    Saturday, October 24, 2015 8:13 AM

All replies

• Hi,

I can repro your issue on my Windows 8.1 computer.

I will feedback this issue, hope it can be fixed in next released.

Also, please also feedback this issue in the Feedback option during this app.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, October 01, 2015 2:24 PM
  • The question persists, is there any way to report it to Microsoft and get fixed ? There are about 100 confirmed reports (in multiple posts total) and the number is still increasing in Answers forum.

• Edited by Petr Vones Sunday, October 04, 2015 10:49 AM
    Sunday, October 04, 2015 9:01 AM
  • I've had exactly the same issue for a week or so, now.
    Monday, October 05, 2015 7:44 AM
  • There are 130 confirmed reports now. I have also tried to send email to tnmff@microsoft.com but no response so far. There is also no category for Windows 8 in Microsoft Connect.

Again, is there any way to notify Microsoft and get confirmation the issue is being fixed ?

• Edited by Petr Vones Tuesday, October 06, 2015 7:10 PM
    Tuesday, October 06, 2015 7:09 PM
  • Peter Vones description precisely describes the failure on my Toshiba tablet, running Windows 8.1.
    Monday, October 19, 2015 2:07 PM
  • More than 400 confirmed reports. Still no answer from Microsoft ?

Petr

Wednesday, October 21, 2015 3:49 PM
  • There is updated version 3.0.4.337 that possibly fixes the issue. Since there is no reply from Microsoft nor change log we can speculate only.
    • Marked as answer by Petr Vones Saturday, October 24, 2015 8:13 AM
    Saturday, October 24, 2015 8:13 AM