Issue with file attachments in IE8 / Windows 7 RC RRS feed

• Question

• So I downloaded Windows 7 RC last week and installed it on a clean drive on my older Dell Desktop (4gb RAM, Dual core Intel 2.8ghz) and was loving it for most of my applications for a few days. 

...then I noticed that I can't upload files through my browser (IE8 RC 7100)

I traced the conversation with IEwatch on the target machine and also repeated the procedure on my XP Pro SP2 / IE6 machine where it worked flawlessly.  For giggles, I installed FireFox, then Safari on the Windows 7 machine and have the same issue with all browsers.  McAfee Antivirus was installed but has been removed as well and the problem persists.  My Java version is 6 update 11.  I had 6 update 15 on it and downgraded to the same version I had on the IE6 machine for testing consistency. 

Symptoms: It loads the forum page and when I click the "manage attachments" button, it renders the attachment edit page normally.  When I browse to an attachment and click upload, nothing happens.  There is no traffic on IE watch and the window just hangs.  I can click "cancel upload" and it returns to the previous screen normally.  The attachments are very small (20k) and I've waited upwards of an hour.

From the working IE6 machine, I click "manage attachments" and it renders the attachment edit page without network traffic, then I browse to an attachment and click upload.  At that point, the browser issues a post to the website under a "newattachment.php" URL and then loads a new .css and several .js files and shows the file uploaded successfully.

I have tried:

Different Java versions
    Safe mode with networking
    Disable and even uninstall antivirus
    Launching IE with all add-ons disabled
    Adding the forum site to the "compatibility mode" list in IE8
    Uninstalling IE8 but Windows 7 hasn't let me do that successfully yet :(

If I can't get through this issue, I will have to go back to XP or Linux on this machine and my desire to move to 7 will be greatly diminished.  My question is this:  Since this is my first experience with IE8 (this site works fine in 7) as well as my first experience with Windows 7 RC, how do I separate where the issue lies?  My assumption is that it's in Windows 7 since I am having the same problem with Safari, Firefox, etc.  If that assumption is correct, how do I go about reporting the issue... and since it may be Java related, does Microsoft care?

Tom in Columbus
    • Moved by Carey FrischMVP Tuesday, August 25, 2009 2:32 PM Moved to proper category (From:Windows 7 Miscellaneous)
    Tuesday, August 25, 2009 1:41 PM

Answers

• Buffer overflows in process monitor are perfectly normal and expected.   Frequently software that needs to get a list of something but doesn't know the size of the list (say...how many items are in this directory for example) will create a "bucket" of size 1.  The call to fill the list fails with buffer overflow and returns the how large the bucket needs to be.  The software then creates a new bucket the size of the list and rerequests it.  This time is succeeds.  Buffer overflows are only bad when they aren't expected and are not handled properly.

As for the upload, since this is a java-based uploader, have you ensured you are running the latest version of Java?
    -Matt
    Thursday, October 1, 2009 5:18 PM

All replies

• Tom, 

You can try adding the site to the Trusted Sites list in IE and see if the problem still occurs.  You can also see if disabbling UAC makes any difference, to try to locate where the problem lies.  If neither of those work, you could also try to capture a Process Monitor log (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896645.aspx) and see if it reports access denied when accessing the file. 
    -Matt
    Tuesday, August 25, 2009 9:08 PM
  • I did add this as a trusted site and disabled UAC.  Neither worked.  I'll try the Process Monitor next.

Thanks for the reply.

Tom
    Tuesday, August 25, 2009 11:15 PM
  • Okay... did the Process Monitor...

There are some "file not found" errors in there pointed (by browser) at the directory where I'm trying to select a file to upload... then there are some "invalid device request" errors generated with a tag of FSCTL_LMR_QUERY_DEBUG_INFO by the filesystem shortly thereafter.

Any thoughts?

On a side note, I did get one 20kb file to upload on about the tenth try successfully after waiting probably 15 minutes... so clearly it's spoaradic to intermittent at best.  It's NOT a complete failure every time though.

FWIW... the file I'm browsing to and selecting for upload is in the C:\Users\tom\Pictures\Captures for DLG Project directory.  I'll rename the directory to something without spaces for kicks.

Tom
    Tuesday, August 25, 2009 11:34 PM
  • Changed the directory name to DLG instead of "captures for DLG" and added c:\users\tom\dlg to the path.  Closed and opened browser again... same old stuff.

Sigh.  Five days trying to upload a picture to a discussion forum.

Tom
    Tuesday, August 25, 2009 11:53 PM
  • Uninstalled IE8 and left firefox on machine.  Problem persists.

Clearly this isn't an IE issue.  Now what's causing it in Windows 7?

Any guesses? 

Tom
    Wednesday, August 26, 2009 1:27 AM
  • Ethernet sniffer shows a TCP retransmit coming from my machine to the website several times and the server never responds.  Is my machine mal-forming the response to the server in Java?

Playing with process monitor, it's clear that there are still some issues in this OS with compatibility.  Lots of buffer overflows and mis-formed paths and filenames...

Last call before I go back to Linux...

Anyone?
    Wednesday, August 26, 2009 11:40 AM
  • Greetings Columbus,

Please see that you have enabled check for updates on your machine, if not you can enable it here Control Panel\System and Security\Action Center\Change Action Center settings and check(enable) the check for updates. IE8 issues will be fixed with latest updates which is released from Microsoft for Windows 7 releases.

Hope this should help. However, let me know for any further assistance.

Regards,
    Harish
    Thursday, August 27, 2009 3:04 PM
  • Buffer overflows in process monitor are perfectly normal and expected.   Frequently software that needs to get a list of something but doesn't know the size of the list (say...how many items are in this directory for example) will create a "bucket" of size 1.  The call to fill the list fails with buffer overflow and returns the how large the bucket needs to be.  The software then creates a new bucket the size of the list and rerequests it.  This time is succeeds.  Buffer overflows are only bad when they aren't expected and are not handled properly.

As for the upload, since this is a java-based uploader, have you ensured you are running the latest version of Java?
    -Matt
    Thursday, October 1, 2009 5:18 PM