none
Visitor Access for Project Server 2013 RRS feed

• Question

• We are using Project Server 2013 in Project Permission Mode with sync enabled.
    We want users with visitor access to be able to view everything (read only) in PWA and project sites. The only exceptions are Team Builder, Resource Center, Resource Availability and BI. We set up a new group, category and security template to accomplish this [Readers(PWA Synchronized)].

The issue we are having is that Visitors can’t see the PWA homepage. They get the “Sorry, you don’t have access to this page” error. They do have access to all of the other pages (Project Center, Project Sites, etc) just not the PWA homepage.

I found that if I enable the Global Permission: General>Contribute to Project Web App they can see the PWA home page but then are given read/write permission in PWA & project sites [Team Members (PWA Synchronized)].

Is there a way to grant access to the PWA homepage but not grant read/write access to PWA & project sites?? What did I miss?

Thursday, June 5, 2014 2:15 PM

All replies

• You are correct that the "Contribute to PWA" lets users see the PWA Homepage. However, the project Sites access should be controlled by the project site permission sync, and what access they have n the project team.

And as for the PWA Hompage, you could further restrict users modifying any lists or libraries by unchecking that global permission.

I will do some testing tonight, but I think you pretty much found the issue and the solution.

Prasanna Adavi,PMP,MCTS,MCITP,MCT TWitter: @prasannaadavi Blog: http://www.prasannaadavi.com

Thursday, June 5, 2014 5:48 PM
  • Thanks for the reply!!

The problem I have is that I want them to be able to see the PWA homepage but not have read/write access to the project sites.  

"Contribute to PWA" seems to be the "switch" to allow them to see the home page but allowing that permission also changes their project site permissions from Readers(PWA Synchronized) to Team Members (PWA Synchronized).  The Team Member then allows them read/write on the project sites.  

I want Visitors to see the PWA homepage but only have read access to the project sites...... and keep the whole thing synchronized so that I don't have to manually adjust things.

Let me know if you need any other information.

Thursday, June 5, 2014 6:42 PM
  • Ah! looks like this changed in 2013 as blogged by Paul Mather..http://pwmather.wordpress.com/2013/11/05/projectserver-ps2013-project-site-permission-sync-clarification-sp2013-sharepoint-projectonline/

I will test as I said, but looks like by design they will get the edit rights.

Prasanna Adavi,PMP,MCTS,MCITP,MCT TWitter: @prasannaadavi Blog: http://www.prasannaadavi.com

Thursday, June 5, 2014 7:25 PM
  • Thanks Prasanna!!

So if I understand this correctly.....

1.  the only way for a user to see the PWA homepage is if they have "Contribute to PWA" permissions enabled
    2. users who have "Contribute to PWA" permissions enabled are granted Team Member access, which is read write
    3. this is all by design from Microsoft, so there is no way to have visitor access (read only) and be able to see the PWA homepage
    Friday, June 6, 2014 5:39 PM
  • Hi Sin--

Indeed you are correct for your first statement.

For the second statement, it is more like this : you will add users in the team member security group that has the "contribute to PWA" permission among others. They'll have a read-write access only on projects they are members of.

for your 3rd statement, I haven't tried it yet, but when you click on "share", you can specify as per my screenshot (unfortunately in french) which access you'll grant. In the drop down list there are tiem such as "visitors - read only" or "restricted readers".

Hope this helps,

Guillaume Rouyre, MBA, MCP, MCTS |

Friday, June 6, 2014 5:48 PM
  • Hi Guillaume,

Regarding my point #2 - From the testing that I did with Project Permission Mode, with a custom group called Visitors, if I enable Contribute to PWA (allow) then users in the Visitors group are placed in Team Members permission level.  If I remove the permission (not deny) then they are placed in Readers (both highlighted below).  This is all done automatically by Project Server, all I am doing is enabling or clearing the allow field for Contribute to PWA.

As for #3 - If there is a way to have a user with read only access see the PWA homepage please let me know.  Until then I am having the Visitors use Project Center as their homepage.

Monday, June 9, 2014 11:31 AM