none
% completion auto calculation RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

when we are changing planned end date, MPP automatically calculates the % completion, is there a way to stop it?

I want to enter % completion manually and don't want project to recalculate it.

It's very inconvenient for me if project every time recalculate it after I change the plan start and finish date. Basically finding it very difficult for fortnightly status update coz management are looking for % completion and as I am modifying the start and end date on weekly basis not getting my manually entered value there

pls help
    • Edited by Nimo007 Tuesday, November 10, 2015 6:10 AM
    Tuesday, November 10, 2015 6:03 AM

All replies

• An example or a picture would help a lot.

Why it is not working for you is because you should not be entering either the % complete or the scheduled finish date.

You should set a status date, and then update actual start and actual duration and remaining duration in the tracking table. Let MSP calculate the % complete, do not enter it.

Tuesday, November 10, 2015 6:53 AM
  • Thanks Trevor, but let's say if I need to rebaseline my project I should change my finish date.

then again everything will be changed, could you please help me with some link/Video so that I can refer the exact process.

Basically I am really confused on which stage (MPP planning and MPP tracking) what field I should enter and what field I should leave for Project to calculate

• Edited by Nimo007 Tuesday, November 10, 2015 9:49 AM
    Tuesday, November 10, 2015 9:47 AM
  • Try going to this google group https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/microsoft.public.project and search for the phrase "track progress".

Tuesday, November 10, 2015 10:50 AM
  • Re-baseline changes dates? Project, Set Baseline, Set Baseline should not change anything, expect the chosen baseline. I think your use of descriptive words is confusing us and yourself.

For example, what do you mean by planned dates? Project has current scheduled dates and baseline dates, but nothing it calls planned, unless you or someone else has been renaming existing fields.

Can you describe in terms used by MS Project, exactly what you are trying to do?

Rod Gill
    Author of the one and only Project VBA Book
    www.project-systems.co.nz

Tuesday, November 10, 2015 8:09 PM
  • % Complete and % Work Complete will change according to the changes in Duration or Work fields (Total, Actual, Remaining), you can edit it manuallt but when you change dates the duration changes as well.

If you want fixed % complete field to update manually without having it recalculated every time, you can use "Physical Percent Complete" field, it is only manually changed and is not derived by the scheduling data. 

Ofir Marco , MCTS P.Z. Projects

Thursday, November 12, 2015 7:55 AM
  • Yes, I can explain. so I referred start date as planned date in project. I know I can save start and end date to save baseline but what I was asking is that changing start and end date (I guess that is our planned/estimated date or as you said current scheduled date) will again change the % completion. Now again what I understood from above discussion that I should not enter end date manually rather I should enter actual and remaining duration so that project can calculate % completion.

Now coming to problem what I am facing, we used to take update from resource for a particular task like when they can finish it rather than how much completed and what pending..so it's getting difficult for me not to enter end date and same time I need % completion to update my status.

So basically only thing I care about is schedule start/finish, actual start/finish for monitoring my project and % completion for my status update and Dependency tracking. What would be the shortest and easiest way to do it?

• Edited by Nimo007 Thursday, November 12, 2015 2:18 PM
    Thursday, November 12, 2015 1:48 PM
  • Thanks I guess that's what I was looking for, but again this will not give us completion mark in indicator field and also summary task will not be auto calculated, why it's not getting averaged on summary task for physical completion field. any idea how we can do it?

• Edited by Nimo007 Thursday, November 12, 2015 2:05 PM
    Thursday, November 12, 2015 1:53 PM
  • So what you can do is enter the Actual start date and then the expected finish date (in the Finish column. This sets the duration. Under the task tab click the mark on Track button.

The physical % complete option is quite separate from % complete and is usually only used for an alternative way of updating earned value calculations. Its a quite separate and involved discussion. I recommend you ignore Physical % complete and only use % complete or % Work Complete.

Rod Gill
    Author of the one and only Project VBA Book
    www.project-systems.co.nz

Thursday, November 12, 2015 7:42 PM
  • Ok, Thanks Rod
    Friday, November 13, 2015 11:20 AM