none
View public folder rules - exchange 2007 RRS feed

• Question

• I have a public folder which was mail-enabled and then a rule was set on it to forward mail to recipients.

This was done by someone else a year ago and we don't know who set up the rule.  We want to change the rule now.

So the question is can we find out who created the rule so we can go back to their Outlook and reconfigure the rule? 

I know this is far from ideal.  I would never have set this function up this way. But this is what I have to deal with so can't start creating new distribution lists or mailboxes now.

Tuesday, October 16, 2012 9:16 AM

Answers

• I have a public folder which was mail-enabled and then a rule was set on it to forward mail to recipients.

This was done by someone else a year ago and we don't know who set up the rule.  We want to change the rule now.

So the question is can we find out who created the rule so we can go back to their Outlook and reconfigure the rule? 

I know this is far from ideal.  I would never have set this function up this way. But this is what I have to deal with so can't start creating new distribution lists or mailboxes now.

The rule itself is on the mail-enabled public folder? If so, all you need is owner client permissions to that public folder and any account with that permission can open Outlook, access the folder properties, General tab/Folder Assistant and edit as needed. The rule is in the folder, not in their Outlook or mailbox.

P.S. If you dont have owner client perms to that folder, assign them to your account from the Exchange Server side or with pfdavadmin

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa998834(v=exchg.80).aspx

Wednesday, October 17, 2012 1:09 AM

All replies

• Hi there,

First pull up the users those who are having permission to that particular public folder because this could have been done by those who were accessing, then configure their outlook and check the rules.

I would suggest just add or remove some character in the public folder/email address, since email address changing rule will not work. 

Did you try disabling the mail enabled for public folder? not sure whether this will work or not but you can give a try.

Kottees : My Blog : Please mark it as an answer if it really helps you.

Tuesday, October 16, 2012 1:37 PM
  • The biggest problem with that idea is that I can't get to all the clients.

Sure; I could get lucky and one of the clients I can get to turns out to be the one where the rule was configured.  But I'd like to find a way of looking at Public Folder Rules on the server... or at least viewing which rules have been setup and by who... then I know where to go.

Tuesday, October 16, 2012 2:38 PM
  • I don't think there is a command for pulling rules in exchange 2007.

Kottees : My Blog : Please mark it as an answer if it really helps you.

Wednesday, October 17, 2012 1:03 AM

The rule itself is on the mail-enabled public folder? If so, all you need is owner client permissions to that public folder and any account with that permission can open Outlook, access the folder properties, General tab/Folder Assistant and edit as needed. The rule is in the folder, not in their Outlook or mailbox.

P.S. If you dont have owner client perms to that folder, assign them to your account from the Exchange Server side or with pfdavadmin

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa998834(v=exchg.80).aspx

Wednesday, October 17, 2012 1:09 AM
  • Hi Jolly

Any update on this thread?

Cheers

Zi Feng

TechNet Community Support

Thursday, October 18, 2012 5:48 AM