Per application volume management is affected when turning down master volume. RRS feed

• Question

• I want to set my programs to run at a certain percentage, why does turning the Master Volume down/up affect the percentage of every program? If I set for example DOOM 3 to 50% then "I" want it outputting at half the Master Volume, if I lower/raise the master volume by 50% then DOOM 3's volume will be lowered/raised relative to the Master Volume.

Is there any way to prevent this from happening without downgrading to an O/S that knows how to handle volume levels properly?

This affects every program running.

Simple test case: Open the Volume Mixer and increase Master Volume to 100% then lower it back to 50%. I want to be able to have all programs at 50% and be able to control global volume level without affecting the per application settings.

Core i7 920 @ 2.66GHZ | ASUS P6T Mother Board | 6 gig DDR3 1600 RAM | 2x 500g SATA2 HDD | Integrated sound | Gainward Geforce 250gts "Deep Green" 1024MB PCI-E (latest drivers) | Windows 7 Home Premium x64 | Thermaltake 750watt Toughpower Power Supply | Thermaltake Armor+ MX case.
    Monday, November 22, 2010 7:43 AM

Answers

• This behavior is by design. No ways to change it.
    Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    • Marked as answer by Arthur Xie Monday, November 29, 2010 3:09 AM
    Wednesday, November 24, 2010 9:23 AM

All replies

• This behavior is by design. No ways to change it.
    Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    • Marked as answer by Arthur Xie Monday, November 29, 2010 3:09 AM
    Wednesday, November 24, 2010 9:23 AM
  • I wonder if someone will make a 3rd party program to replace the Windows Volume Controls then as the current ones are inferior to Windows XP and older.
    Core i7 920 @ 2.66GHZ | ASUS P6T Mother Board | 6 gig DDR3 1600 RAM | 2x 500g SATA2 HDD | Integrated sound | Gainward Geforce 250gts "Deep Green" 1024MB PCI-E (latest drivers) | Windows 7 Home Premium x64 | Thermaltake 750watt Toughpower Power Supply | Thermaltake Armor+ MX case.
    Saturday, November 27, 2010 11:04 AM