My 'Backup Now' button is not working RRS feed

• Question

• Hi.
    I have tried to backup my computer and it worked but in contrary it doesn't now.

i know that this question must have been asked before, but when i look at the solutions i did not know what to do because i am not too good at computers.

I have uninstalled McAFee from my computer and installed a handful of games, and after, the backup button isn't working. It is still a button, when i click it, it will 'load' as i can see the circle beside my cursor but practically nothing executes.

I can create a system image but it also practically serves no purpose, even the schedule for backup is not working.

Wednesday, June 15, 2011 1:06 AM

Answers

• Hi,

First, please check if Volume Shadow Copy and Windows Backup services are running and set to automatic in Services Console.

1. Click on Start, type Services in Start Search. When the Services page is open, scroll the page to find Volume Shadow Copy and Backup service.

2. Right click on them and check if they are started.

3. If the services are disabled, start the services and set it to Automatic, then check if the issue disappear.

Second, please run SFC command to check if it can fix this issue:

How to use the System File Checker tool to troubleshoot missing or corrupted system files on Windows Vista or on Windows 7

You can also try to boot into Clean Boot mode to perform backup operation to see how it works.

Hope it helps.

Alex Zhao

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Marked as answer by Cloud_TS Wednesday, June 29, 2011 2:50 AM
    Friday, June 17, 2011 10:17 AM
  • Run the mcAfee uninstaller here: http://download.mcafee.com/products/licensed/cust_support_patches/MCPR.exe

It will clean out the gank McAfee garbage left behind. Then reboot the computer and test.

Friday, June 17, 2011 11:26 AM

All replies

• Hi,

First, please check if Volume Shadow Copy and Windows Backup services are running and set to automatic in Services Console.

1. Click on Start, type Services in Start Search. When the Services page is open, scroll the page to find Volume Shadow Copy and Backup service.

2. Right click on them and check if they are started.

3. If the services are disabled, start the services and set it to Automatic, then check if the issue disappear.

Second, please run SFC command to check if it can fix this issue:

How to use the System File Checker tool to troubleshoot missing or corrupted system files on Windows Vista or on Windows 7

You can also try to boot into Clean Boot mode to perform backup operation to see how it works.

Hope it helps.

Alex Zhao

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Friday, June 17, 2011 10:17 AM
  • Run the mcAfee uninstaller here: http://download.mcafee.com/products/licensed/cust_support_patches/MCPR.exe

It will clean out the gank McAfee garbage left behind. Then reboot the computer and test.

Friday, June 17, 2011 11:26 AM
  • Hi Ray,

Just wondering if you had installed/uninstalled Acronis True Image recently, per chance?

Ramesh Srinivasan | The Winhelponline Blog
    Microsoft MVP, Windows Desktop Experience
    Tuesday, June 21, 2011 5:04 AM
    Answerer