"Unable to create folder" error when trying to install Windows 7 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have the downloaded version of Windows 7 HP from Digital River. The file size is 2.03gb.
    I am trying to upgrade from Windows XP, but everytime I run the installer, the screen says "Copying files" and then I get the error message "Windows was unable to create a required installation folder.: Error code 0x80070005.

I have tried running the install pack from the root drive, and I have also copied the files and burned them onto a DVD using the downloaded oscdimg file.

I have no other drives plugged in (apart from dvd drive, and another partition on my hard disk).

I am also running the setup in administrator file.

I have also tried the selective startup idea, but still no luck at all.

Help?
    Thursday, October 22, 2009 11:13 AM

Answers

• Success!!

Thanks rockridge for the idea.

For bootcamp users wanting to upgrade to win 7 from downloads:

1. go to the control panel and select uninstall/repair software.

2. uninstall bootcamp services (this is preventing the install from working)

3. install windows 7

4. reinstall bootcamp from you mac osx dvd.

hope this helps!
    • Proposed as answer by rmb7984 Friday, October 23, 2009 9:33 PM
    • Marked as answer by Ronnie VernonMVP Saturday, October 24, 2009 7:25 AM
    Friday, October 23, 2009 2:16 AM

All replies

• Neither of the links provided here seem to deal with this issue at all. I'm having this issue as well - no problem unpacking the boxes - that is fine, but after running the setup is when we get these errors.
    Thursday, October 22, 2009 5:38 PM
  • I agree, I have the same problem (everything works fine up until it actually comes time to install, at which points it halts the whole process by saying it can't create the folder) and those links address totally separate problems.

1. I launch setup
    2. "Install Windows" pops up, and I tell it to "install now."
    3. Setup takes over the whole screen and the error pop up simultaneously.

I'm running Vista on a Mac in Boot Camp and trying to upgrade Vista(32)-to-Win7(32) while in Windows.  But it's not working...
    Thursday, October 22, 2009 6:17 PM
  • I agree, I have the same problem (everything works fine up until it actually comes time to install, at which points it halts the whole process by saying it can't create the folder) and those links address totally separate problems.

1. I launch setup
    2. "Install Windows" pops up, and I tell it to "install now."
    3. Setup takes over the whole screen and the error pop up simultaneously.

I'm running Vista on a Mac in Boot Camp and trying to upgrade Vista(32)-to-Win7(32) while in Windows.  But it's not working...

Exactly the same situation here... Haven't found a solution yet...
    Thursday, October 22, 2009 7:55 PM
  • i have the exact problem, can create a required installation folder
    Thursday, October 22, 2009 8:33 PM
  • Same problem as well. This is starting to frustrate me!
    Thursday, October 22, 2009 10:07 PM
  • Hey,

i have a macbook running bootcamp with windows vista home premium  sp2 64bit and i have the download link for windows 7 home premium 64bit, everything unboxes fine like everyone else i click the startup and it go to install and just as it starts it says copying files and thats when i get the error and it quits i have yet to find anyway to fix this problem ive been working for hours trying all the work arounds i can find but nothing seems to work if anyone has any ideas or has fixed the problem that would be a great help.
    Thursday, October 22, 2009 11:54 PM
  • Hi,
    I'm running Vista home premium on boot camp and have exactly the same problem. - 

I just got off with Microsoft tech support and after an hour and a half they essentially said that the issue is with bootcamp permissions in allowing an upgrade to windows 7 -- after which they sent me on my merry way. From what I gather, we'll likely have to be waiting for a patch of some sort on apple's side that will most likely take a while to be posted if at all. I'm hoping that calling apple will make them aware of the problem...
    Thursday, October 22, 2009 11:57 PM
  • Well, after looking at the apple website at http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3920 I got the following message: 

Apple will support Microsoft Windows 7 (Home Premium, Professional, and Ultimate) with Boot Camp in Mac OS X Snow Leopard before the end of the year. This support will require a software update to Boot Camp.

This is somewhat disappointing but at least our problems may be solved. I guess for now, don't get rid of your download...

p.s. I burned a dvd from the download through the iso technique in the above link and still got the same installation folder error, so it probably does have something to do with bootcamp.
    • Proposed as answer by rockridge Friday, October 23, 2009 12:06 AM
    Friday, October 23, 2009 12:06 AM
  • Actually I did a system restore to Bootcamp 2.1 and the installation ran perfectly until I was told that I couldn't upgrade Vista Ultimate with Vista Pro.  My guess if you have matching O/S versions it would work.  Someone else will have to test it, I'm redoing the install as a clean, not an upgrade.
    Friday, October 23, 2009 12:31 AM
  • Success!!

3. install windows 7

hope this helps!
    • Proposed as answer by rmb7984 Friday, October 23, 2009 9:33 PM
    • Marked as answer by Ronnie VernonMVP Saturday, October 24, 2009 7:25 AM
    Friday, October 23, 2009 2:16 AM
  • Hi,

I have the downloaded version of Windows 7 HP from Digital River. The file size is 2.03gb.
    I am trying to upgrade from Windows XP, but everytime I run the installer, the screen says "Copying files" and then I get the error message "Windows was unable to create a required installation folder.: Error code 0x80070005.

I have tried running the install pack from the root drive, and I have also copied the files and burned them onto a DVD using the downloaded oscdimg file.

I have no other drives plugged in (apart from dvd drive, and another partition on my hard disk).

I am also running the setup in administrator file.

I have also tried the selective startup idea, but still no luck at all.

Help?

Hi Jason,

Is your system a Mac or HP Computer?

I also would like to confirm how did you install this copy of Windows 7, Upgrade Install or Clean Install?

The error code 0x8007005 means access is denied, you can modify the permission to fix the issue. But the current problem is current operating system is Windows XP, you have no way to upgrade to Windows 7 from Windows XP directly. For more information, please check this article: Windows 7 Upgrade Paths.

If you have a full version of Windows 7, I suggest you backup all the important files to avoid data loss and perform a Clean Install after booting from the Windows 7 installation disk.

Good luck!

Arthur Li - MSFT
    Friday, October 23, 2009 7:29 AM
  • Success!!

3. install windows 7

hope this helps!

This is brilliant, worked for me, Goodbye Vista
    Friday, October 23, 2009 12:57 PM
  • This was absolutely the solution.  I've been trying to figure it out for two days now.  Great work guys!
    Friday, October 23, 2009 9:33 PM
  • I'm trying to do this with the x64 version. Is this the same for you?
    Thursday, October 29, 2009 5:56 PM
  • It worked for me, after searching the web for hours! Many thanks.
    Sunday, November 22, 2009 9:05 PM
  • Hi and thanks for your suggestion, I now have Windows 7 installed. I am having trouble finding out how to reinstall the boot camp services from my mac osx dvd. Could you expand on the steps of that process for me?

Thanks again
    Friday, January 15, 2010 5:59 PM
  • hi

i had the same thing trying to install it on to  hp pc that was running windows xp but i was aball to install windows 7 by makeing a folder on my desktop and copy all the windows 7 installer file in to it and then i click the setup file and then i was aball to install windows 7 on it go on have a go to see if it will work for you

thank for reading 

Friday, August 6, 2010 11:01 AM
  • I had this same problem occur to me when trying to install a legitimate student version of Windows 7 that I purchased from Microsoft on my Macbook (unibody) running Windows XP Professional that I installed through Bootcamp under Mac OS X Snow Leopard.

The following technique worked for me; I'm not a tech. guru, so I am not sure if this will work for everyone, but if it helped me, it might help you:

1. If you downloaded the Windows 7 Upgrade legitimately from Microsoft's partner website, you will notice two download options; select the ISO option.

2. After downloading the initial file, double-click it and an automated downloader will pop up and download the actual ISO file (which is 3 or 4 GB in size, I forgot the exact size but it's a big file)

3. Once the ISO downloads, google a good ISO burner that will allow you to burn your ISO file to a DVD disk that is bootable (I used the following article and the mentioned free ISO burning software, and it worked for me without a problem: http://www.zdnet.com/blog/hardware/how-to-burn-your-windows-7-iso-to-dvd-disc/3317 )

4. Now you need to insert the DVD that you just burned & restart your Mac (while Windows is running)

5. The moment it restarts and you hear the Macintosh "ding" sound, make sure you're holding down the Alt / Option key (NOT the Apple logo / Command key)

6. Initially two options will appear: One option to boot into Mac OS, One option to boot into Windows; after about 4 minutes, a third option oddly appears that says Boot From Windows CD (it has a picture of a CD; click the button below it)

7. Now the Windows 7 Installer should start to run; you will want to do a Clearn Install and format the Partition of your drive that says Bootcamp next to it

8. You're not out of the woods yet; for me, it installed, but the computer wouldn't recognize my hardware, including the wireless card, even after inserting the Mac OS X disk and installing Bootcamp. Why? Apparently Snow Leopard disk shipped with Bootcamp 3.0, and you need 3.1 for Windows 7 to work. The solution? Restart the computer, hold down the Alt / Option key again, and this time select to boot up in Mac OS. Once back in Mac, go online, google "Bootcamp 3.1 update," and you should find a support.apple.com page that you can use to download the update. Save the update (which will be an .exe file) to a disk, then restart your computer, hold down the Alt / Option key again, and select Windows.

9. Now when you're back in Windows 7 again, pop in the disk with the Bootcamp 3.1 executable (.exe file) and open it; it will install, and now hopefully all of your drivers will work.

Again, I'm not a professional tech. person, but this technique helped me install Windows 7 on my Unibody Macbook after about 4 hours of problems.

Thursday, July 7, 2011 1:49 AM
  • Awesome, thanks this fixed it for me also.
    • Edited by azyunomi Monday, July 30, 2012 7:53 AM
    Monday, July 30, 2012 7:53 AM