Any Algorithms used in Dashboard Designer ?? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I have one question about any algorithms  that are used in Dashboard Designer - Performance Point Server for Analytic grid/score cards.

I have created a sample dashboard and added multiple reports (Analytic Grid/Chart) and scorecards) to it. Some of the sample reports are "Top 10 customers", "Top 20 PRoducts", "Sales by Product Category", "Sales by Country" etc. for all these samples I used the existing measure, Dimension, Hierarchy that are available in the dashboard designer via the adventure works datasource. I am able to see the expected results in the dashboard. My question is "Is there any underlying algorithm used by dashboard designer to display the results for analytic chart and score cards?

Please help and advice on the above !!

I have the following set up in my machine
    PPS 2007 with SQL Server 2008 and I use Adventure Works DW sample database.
    Cube : Adventure Works Cube

Thank You in advance!!

Friday, April 17, 2009 5:11 AM

Answers

• There is not algorithm  behind that, is just a pivot table generated with a MDX query agaist a Cube...
    cheers
    • Marked as answer by AseemN Thursday, August 13, 2009 8:08 PM
    Friday, April 17, 2009 11:34 PM

All replies

• Guess I am not sure what you mean exactly by an 'underlying algorithm used by DD to dsiplay results'.  Could you please expand on this and provide some specifics as to what you mean by this?
    Dan English's BI Blog
    Friday, April 17, 2009 8:59 PM
  • Thank you so much for your response Dan!

I will try my best to be clear.

For Scorecard, "A scoring Algorithm is used by DD to display the score card
    http://blogs.msdn.com/performancepoint/archive/2008/01/18/scoring-algorithm-used-in-performancepoint-scorecards.aspx

Simillarly, for trend analysis, Time Series algorithem is used in DD(I think).
    http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/performancepoint/HA102538051033.aspx

Likewise, for my reports/graphs, am not sure whether any algorithms are used by Performance Point. Or my question is whether I need to use any algorithm for my reports listed above. I was able to achieve the expected results using the sample measures and dimensions.

For ex:

Sales by Product Category report

I used product categories dimension(in rows) , sales amount measure and fiscal year(columns) and created the grid and integrated to the dashboard. It worked...I am not sure if thats the correct approach, meaning, should I have used any algorithm to generate the report ? or should I have used BI studio to create any solution and deploy that project and then use it in DD.

I apologize if my questions are not clear or very basic. I am in the learning cuve of BI.

Thanks Again!

Friday, April 17, 2009 9:49 PM
  • There is not algorithm  behind that, is just a pivot table generated with a MDX query agaist a Cube...
    cheers
    • Marked as answer by AseemN Thursday, August 13, 2009 8:08 PM
    Friday, April 17, 2009 11:34 PM