none
problem with windows10 activation

Question

• Hello

I have windows 10 pro for almost a year . Today upon turning on my PC , windows alerted me about activating windows on startup which i had not seen before. It brought me to windows activation section of control panel and asked for my product ID .

I wanted to enter the product ID that was on a card in the windows box the day i bought it but it starts like "1KHYB-..." and it doesn't accept that "1" character.

whats this all about? what should i do?

Sunday, February 26, 2017 12:29 PM

All replies

• If you're running Windows 10 (Version 1607), the Activation troubleshooter might be able to help reactivate Windows if you recently made a significant hardware change (such as replacing the motherboard) or reinstalled Windows. To use the troubleshooter, select the Start  button, select Settings  > Update & security  > Activation , and then select Troubleshoot. You must be an administrator to use this option. For more info about the troubleshooter, see Using the Activation troubleshooter.

S.Sengupta, Windows Insider MVP

Sunday, February 26, 2017 1:44 PM
  • I did not make any hardware changes at all and there is no Troubleshoot in activation settings but windows is declared activated, however the error message claiming that "Your windows will expire soon" keeps showing up.

I'd upload a photo but i can't.

Sunday, February 26, 2017 7:05 PM
  •  but windows is declared activated, however the error message claiming that "Your windows will expire soon" keeps showing up.

Are you running an Insider Preview build ?

To find out...... in the search box, type winver > press Enter.

The next window will show you the windows 10 version, build number etc.
    If it is an insider build, at the bottom will have an expiry date.

Please post back what you get from winver.

Sunday, February 26, 2017 7:57 PM
  • It doesn't have the word "insider" in it.

here's a screenshot : goo.gl/OdjkPM

Sunday, February 26, 2017 8:14 PM
  • It doesn't have the word "insider" in it.

here's a screenshot : goo.gl/OdjkPM

Sorry I am unable to open your screenshot link.

Let's find out this way......

Start button > left side, click Settings > select Update & security > left side, click Activation > right side, what does it say ?

Here is mine.................

• Edited by david hk129 Sunday, February 26, 2017 8:23 PM
    Sunday, February 26, 2017 8:22 PM
  • Edition : "Windows 10 Enterprise"

Activation : "Windows is activated using your organization's activation service"

Sunday, February 26, 2017 8:39 PM
  • Edition : "Windows 10 Enterprise"

Activation : "Windows is activated using your organization's activation service"

Thank you.

I will not attempt to help you on Enterprise version because I don't have one and have no experience on how it works.

Please wait a bit for others to help you.

P.S. Next time you post a question, the very first thing to specify is your Windows 10 version/edition.
    It is crucial or else we might give you suggestions that are useless to your edition.

Good luck.

• Edited by david hk129 Sunday, February 26, 2017 8:46 PM
    Sunday, February 26, 2017 8:45 PM
  •  The original post said Windows 10 Pro!

Where did this OS come from? The activation information says that it is Windows 10 Enterprise activated by KMS. Was it a company owned machine?

Bill

Sunday, February 26, 2017 10:27 PM
  • I never said anything about "KMS" !

I bought the DVD of Windows10 "pro" from a legit shop in my city and been working with it for a year on my laptop with no problem before this sudden problem appears.

p.s. even on the card with product ID on it says windows10 pro.

Monday, February 27, 2017 12:34 PM
  • If it was Enterprise then it would need to be activated within an organization and if the computer has not been connected to the organization for a few months then it would de-activate itself.

Monday, February 27, 2017 12:40 PM
  • did you take your laptop into work with a problem and perhaps the IT Staff there reinstalled it with their enterprise version...?
    Monday, February 27, 2017 12:42 PM
  • No, I've never taken my laptop out of my house to work and never connected it to any organization.
    Monday, February 27, 2017 2:14 PM
  • I bought the DVD of Windows10 "pro" from a legit shop in my city and been working with it for a year on my laptop with no problem before this sudden problem appears.

p.s. even on the card with product ID on it says windows10 pro.

The only way you can get your activation is to do a Clean Install of Windows 10 Pro.

You said you have the Windows 10 Pro installation DVD which you bought from a legit retail store.

Use it to do a Clean Install.
    Go to your system Boot Order and set it to boot from the DVD > insert the DVD > Restart computer.
    Here is a tutorial on how to do Clean Install if you need it :
    https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/1950-windows-10-clean-install.html

You will be asked for the product key. Enter the key that comes with the DVD.

*** Clean Install does NOT allow you o keep anything you have on the computer. So, back up your personal files you want to keep first.***

• Edited by david hk129 Monday, February 27, 2017 2:31 PM
    Monday, February 27, 2017 2:31 PM
  • Hi babak_deghat,

For a license issue, it is recommended to make a phone call directly.

Contact us
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/contactus/

Best regards,
    Joy.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, February 28, 2017 9:44 AM