none
MDT 2013 U2 - Application via batch issue RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

I have an application that is giving me some issues.

The task sequence runs fine except this application seems to be running in the background while others are installing which eventually ends in the red.

I have tried shifting the application to the end of the bundle list, this works but the task sequence finishes before the application does and then ends in red, again.

The app is called Swiftpage Act!, I have followed the instructions on this page:

http://kb.act.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/38490/~/how-do-i-perform-a-silent-installation-of-act%21-v18-or-later-on-client-computers%3F

The batch file is as follows:

@echo off

if NOT DEFINED IS_MINIMIZED set IS_MINIMIZED=1 && start "" /min "%~dpnx0" %* && exit
    "\\SERVER\DeploymentShare$\Applications\Act\ACTWG\ISSetupPrerequisites\VCPlus2010\vcredist_x86.exe" /q /norestart  & "\

\SERVER\DeploymentShare$\Applications\Act\ACTWG\ISSetupPrerequisites\DOTNET40FULL\dotNetFx40_Full_x86_x64.exe" /q 

/norestart & "\\SERVER\DeploymentShare$\Applications\Act\ACTWG\setup.exe" /s /f1"\\SERVER\DeploymentShare$\Applications\Act

\ACTWG\SI\issconfig.iss" /f2"\\SERVER\Logs\Act_installation_output.log"

echo F|xcopy /S /Q /Y /F "\\SERVER\Act\Databse.pad" "C:\Users\Public\Desktop\Databse.pad"

EXIT

Is there a way i can get this batch to wait until the main Act! application and components has finished and then pass a green light on the the task sequnece?

Cheers

• Edited by Tynecider Thursday, November 30, 2017 4:55 PM
    Thursday, November 30, 2017 4:31 PM

Answers

• Looks like you are installing 3 apps with one batch file. I would not use this approach.  Instead, I would have 3 separate apps (vcredist, dotnet, and Act).  I suggest avoiding batch files when possible for launching app installs (instead of the application log showing the return code of the application, it records the return code of the batch file.  The batch file basically returns success if it ran at all or failure if it never ran).  I would suggest creating an application bundle, adding the three app installs to it and then call the app bundle from the task sequence.

Now, addressing your issue, I suggest in the batch file that installs Act, you add code to search and monitor the tasklist for setup.exe which simply loops as long as it is found and breaks the loop when it is no longer in the task list.

Some ideas are for that can be found here:  https://gallery.technet.microsoft.com/scriptcenter/batch-loop-check-is-a-61da82bb

Thursday, November 30, 2017 10:35 PM
  • OMG this script is painful.

The script on the ACT site is IMHO - horrible!! Why are they putting all the commands on the same line with the & delimiter? Additionally, you didn't transpose the command as-is to your dialog above. instead adding in new lines whilly nilly, this breaks the script.

Instead I would strip out (as BiAtE-Z suggests ) the VC 2010 Redist and the .NET 4.0 (you don't mention what OS you are running), and not use the Absolute path, instead copying the script to a common location, installing like:

ACTWG\setup.exe" /s /f1"ACTWG\SI\issconfig.iss" /f2"C:\windows\temp\installation_output.log"

Keith Garner - Principal Consultant [owner] - http://DeploymentLive.com

• Marked as answer by Tynecider Monday, April 23, 2018 12:55 PM
    Wednesday, December 6, 2017 6:29 AM

All replies

• Looks like you are installing 3 apps with one batch file. I would not use this approach.  Instead, I would have 3 separate apps (vcredist, dotnet, and Act).  I suggest avoiding batch files when possible for launching app installs (instead of the application log showing the return code of the application, it records the return code of the batch file.  The batch file basically returns success if it ran at all or failure if it never ran).  I would suggest creating an application bundle, adding the three app installs to it and then call the app bundle from the task sequence.

Now, addressing your issue, I suggest in the batch file that installs Act, you add code to search and monitor the tasklist for setup.exe which simply loops as long as it is found and breaks the loop when it is no longer in the task list.

Some ideas are for that can be found here:  https://gallery.technet.microsoft.com/scriptcenter/batch-loop-check-is-a-61da82bb

Thursday, November 30, 2017 10:35 PM
  • OMG this script is painful.

The script on the ACT site is IMHO - horrible!! Why are they putting all the commands on the same line with the & delimiter? Additionally, you didn't transpose the command as-is to your dialog above. instead adding in new lines whilly nilly, this breaks the script.

Instead I would strip out (as BiAtE-Z suggests ) the VC 2010 Redist and the .NET 4.0 (you don't mention what OS you are running), and not use the Absolute path, instead copying the script to a common location, installing like:

ACTWG\setup.exe" /s /f1"ACTWG\SI\issconfig.iss" /f2"C:\windows\temp\installation_output.log"

Keith Garner - Principal Consultant [owner] - http://DeploymentLive.com

• Marked as answer by Tynecider Monday, April 23, 2018 12:55 PM
    Wednesday, December 6, 2017 6:29 AM