none
Resource Overallocation. How can I fix it? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am getting a resource overallocation and I think it's because:

* Some hours are leaking into the weekend (which is set as a day off) OR

* MPS cannot handle the calculation

Note: I am using MSP 2010 Professional  and my resources are working 9-5pm with a 0.5hr break (TOTAL 7.5hr)

I have a task set as:

Duration = 30 days

Work = 2 hrs

Resource name = s

This gives me an over allocation. Why is this happening??

Is it because the work is too miniscule in comparison to the duration, therefore MSP cannot register this value correctly?

My calculations show:

% allocation for this task = WORK/ DURATION = 2hr / (30day* 7.5hr per day )  = 0.0088 = 0.88%

How can I fix this overallocation?

Monday, July 25, 2011 6:37 AM

Answers

• Hi,

I seem to owe an apology.

I don't remember what I have done differently last time but now, first using your file and then working the same data on a brand new file, the anomaly does appear (even with SP1) and only disappears when the leveling period is set to per week (which is ridiculous, I know). Moreover, in no one period an overallocation is shown, only in the resource line's indicators column. And yes, increasing work to a value >1% of duration makes the error disappear ????

I'll tell Microsoft about this glitch.

Greetings,

Thursday, July 28, 2011 5:58 PM

All replies

• Hi nicholaswan,

Have you change both the base calendar and scheduling options to reflect this 7.5 hours working scheme?

Make sure you have modified the base calendar (used by both the project and resource) and to set the scheduling options (File -> Options -> Schedule -> Default start/end time; Hours per day; Hours per week; Days per month.

The problem is not that the numbers are too small.

Have you identified and reviewed the overallocation in the resource usage view? You might need to zoom in to see the overallocation. This should tell you whe and why he is overallocated.

Are you connected to project server? Or do you have any other projects open? Because this resource might also be overallocated because he is already 100% assigned in another project.

And finally, check the maximum units and the availability profile for this resource.

I hope this helps,
    Hans

My EPM blog: Projectopolis
    Monday, July 25, 2011 7:35 AM
  • Hi Hans.H,

My default start time = 9am, Default end = 5pm, hours per day = 7.5, Hours per week = 37.5, day per month = 20

Also checked the resource calendar and it's set as 9am-12pm  and 12:30 - 5pm.

There is definatley no overallocation as it's the only task in the project.

I do not have project server.

When I increase the work to 2.33 hours, the overallocation dissapears.

What's happening? 

Monday, July 25, 2011 7:41 AM
  • When I do my calculations, 2.33 makes my resource 1%, anything below that is less than 1%.

Sounds more and more like MSP cant handle percentages less than 1. If this is the case how do i remove this rule

Monday, July 25, 2011 7:43 AM
  • Hi,

I won't disagree with your suspicion but the problem (or rather the good news) is I cannot reproduce the problem. Is it because I have SP1 installed? Is there anything in your file that is different? Let's try that: send me your file at jandemesATprom-ade.be and I'll check here.

Greetings,

Monday, July 25, 2011 9:15 AM
  • Hi,

I could reproduce the issue, but as Jan pointed this issue is been resolved in SP1. My machine didn't have SP1 so I can see the issue you mentioned, but testing it on a machine with SP1, the issue didn't turn up.

So it appears it has been resolved in SP1.

Sapna S
    Monday, July 25, 2011 10:16 AM
  • Hi Jan,

My laptop is Windows XP SP3 so doesn't that mean it should definately work?

Nevertheless I've sent you the file so we'll see if you still get the same issue

Chrrs

Nick

Thursday, July 28, 2011 9:39 AM
  • Hi Nick,

It has to be SP1 for MS Project 2010 not XP. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2460052

Sapna S
    Thursday, July 28, 2011 10:10 AM
  • Thanks for clearing up my confusion bw SP1 for MSP and XP.

Do you know what bugs SP1 fixes?

If I use SP1, save  the .mpp file and give it to someone who does not have SP1, might it corrupt the file? (i've seen this happen when saving an MSP 2007 file for someone on MSP 2010.)

Thursday, July 28, 2011 10:33 AM
  • Hi Nick,

The KB article have a link [Download the Microsoft Office 2010 Service Pack 1 Changes.xlsx package now.] wherein it lists what has been fixed in that SP, 2007 to 2010 may have corruption due to additional capabilties added in 2010, but not in 2010 to 2010.

Sapna S
    Thursday, July 28, 2011 10:46 AM
  • Hi,

I seem to owe an apology.

I don't remember what I have done differently last time but now, first using your file and then working the same data on a brand new file, the anomaly does appear (even with SP1) and only disappears when the leveling period is set to per week (which is ridiculous, I know). Moreover, in no one period an overallocation is shown, only in the resource line's indicators column. And yes, increasing work to a value >1% of duration makes the error disappear ????

I'll tell Microsoft about this glitch.

Greetings,

Thursday, July 28, 2011 5:58 PM
  • Thank god it's not just me.

Cheers

Sunday, July 31, 2011 10:59 PM
  • Hi Nick,

The KB article have a link [Download the Microsoft Office 2010 Service Pack 1 Changes.xlsx package now.] wherein it lists what has been fixed in that SP, 2007 to 2010 may have corruption due to additional capabilties added in 2010, but not in 2010 to 2010.

Sapna S
    What is the latest build number ? I mean (14.0.xxxx.yyyy) ?

Regards. --Ismet
    Sunday, July 31, 2011 11:10 PM
  • Ismet, I m confused is this question for me?
    Sapna S
    Monday, August 1, 2011 6:23 AM
  • Yes Sapna, Could you please check the number in your version of Project 2010 Desktop ? I just want to verify mine, it is 14.0.6106.5000. Thank you...

Regards. --Ismet
    Monday, August 1, 2011 10:38 AM
  • Hi Ismet,

It is 14.0.6023.1000. You are most welcome :)

Sapna S
    Monday, August 1, 2011 10:48 AM