Power Query Functions scope RRS feed

• Question

• I would like to understand better the scope of M functions created within Power Query. From what I can tell you need to recreate a function on each Excel workbook you need it. I was wondering if there is a way to create functions once and reference it from multiple workbooks. e.g. Can you reference functions from other workbooks?

I am thinking of scenarios where you want to create and maintain a library of custom functions that can be shared by many users.

Help Others! Don't forget to mark your thread as answered

Rafael Salas - SSIS and more

Sunday, August 11, 2013 2:54 AM

Answers

• Hi Rafael,

The scope of Power Query functions is the current workbook. Thinking about ways to allow reusability across workbooks, I think the easiest solution would be to share these queries (functions) just as any other query. As part of the upcoming Power BI Preview (later this summer), we will enable a feature to share queries with other users in your company and the ability to discover them via Online Search.

Thanks,
    M.

Monday, August 12, 2013 5:13 PM
  • Currently, there isn't. But this is a known pain point and we're actively working to address it. Stay tuned... :)
    Monday, August 12, 2013 7:18 PM

All replies

• Hi Rafael,

The scope of Power Query functions is the current workbook. Thinking about ways to allow reusability across workbooks, I think the easiest solution would be to share these queries (functions) just as any other query. As part of the upcoming Power BI Preview (later this summer), we will enable a feature to share queries with other users in your company and the ability to discover them via Online Search.

Thanks,
    M.

Monday, August 12, 2013 5:13 PM
  • Thanks Miguel.

Good to know you guys are thinking about it. And you beat me to the punch on the next question: Discoverability. Another issue I have is that finding queries within a single workbook can be overwhelming in cases where there are too many worksheets/Queries. It would be great to have a way to search/find Power queries within a workbook....or is there an easy way currently?

Help Others! Don't forget to mark your thread as answered

Rafael Salas - SSIS and more

Monday, August 12, 2013 5:42 PM
  • Currently, there isn't. But this is a known pain point and we're actively working to address it. Stay tuned... :)
    Monday, August 12, 2013 7:18 PM