none
Office 365 Activation + ADFS OR AzureAD Seamless SSO + Login Window appears RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

we are just evaluating Office 365 and set up Windows 10 Test Clients from the Scratch with Version 1903 and installed Office 365 ProPlus Version 1908 Build 11929.20752.

We´ve got the Issue that Users Start an Office Program for the first time and they get the Logon-Dialog to activate Office:

In the upper right Corner we can see that the user is "signed in", but the seamless Office Activation does not work.

We tested both Azure AD Connect configured with Seamless SSO (without Password Hash Sync) and also set up ADFS. Currently we have ADFS in place.

I believe that all necessary URL´s are in the Intranet Zone List. When we call the ADFS URL like this  we are logged in without any issue.

We checked the infrastructure with the test-account in the microsoft remote connectivity analyzer. -> No issues, everything green.

I also tried to capture the webrequests with fiddler when starting office. There I could see while starting an Office app until the login window appears, NO webrequest is being performed!

It looks like that Office "is missing" some "local config" in order to activate seamlessly.

When we click on the logon button and enter the correct UPN / mailaddress and click next we are logged in without entering a password and office gets activated and the computername is also displayed in the office activations of the userobject in the O365-Portal.

Shared Computer Activation is not enabled. No Roaming Profiles, just local.

Has anyone an Idea what´s happening there or how we can solve that Issue (Microsoft)?

Activation should be possible seamlessly, without entering the e-mail address...

I can confirm that O365 Version 1902 (Build 11328.20468) does not behave like that. This Version activates without any prompts...

Furthermore I can confirm that this also occurs in the monthly Version 2004 (Build 16.0.12730.20250)
    • Edited by AD 14550 Monday, May 18, 2020 11:51 AM
    Monday, May 18, 2020 10:30 AM

All replies

• Hi,

As you are working with a complicated scenario, I couldn't try to do tests and reproduce the issue to confirm if the issue is related to Office 365 versions or your environment settings.

Since this forum focuses more on general questions related to Office desktop applications, if you need further assistance on this problem, I'd recommend you post a new question to the following forum: Office 365 for Admins forum on Microsoft Answers. You may get more helpful replies there.

As far as I know, To get Office 365 ProPlus automatically activated on the client computers, ADFS is required to deploy SSO. To achieve that, only password synchronization is not enough. Password synchronization only syncs the users’ credentials from on-premises Active Directory to the cloud Azure Directory, the users still need to activate Office ProPlus manually. SSO along with ADFS is required to achieve the automatic activation.

For details about the configuration of Azure AD Connect, please refer to this article: Custom installation of Azure AD Connect.

If you can't solve the problem yourself, you can contact Microsoft by visiting the webpage or via phone. If you have any updates, feel free to post back to let us know.

Best Regards,

Herb

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Office 2019.

Tuesday, May 19, 2020 6:42 AM
  • Hi,

Any updates here? Have you solved the problem? I'm looking forward to your responses. Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped.

If you need further assistance, feel free to post back to let us help you.

Best Regards,

Herb

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Office 2019.

Friday, May 22, 2020 9:33 AM