Skype for Business 2016, Outlook 2016 Outlook integration error RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I hope i'm posting this in the correct section.

A month ago a user acquired a new laptop which we provided with office and Lync (S4B) 2016. Previously the user had i believe either office 2010 or 2013 with S4B 15.

A few weeks ago the user had issues with conversation history not saving anymore, at first it was the general error of "Outlook profile is not configured correctly" and the MAPI status error. After following the proposed steps of solving this, either through the registry and the use of the MFCMAPI program, the MAPI error and outlook profile error are no more, yet MAPI still fails to establish a connection to Exchange (is what the error says) and conversations are still not being saved.

Tried everything from clearing cache, different profile, online repair, full reinstall, nothing seems to help. Could this possibly be because the user used to use an older version?

The only thing i haven't tried yet is making a backup of the conversation folder and deleting it, letting skype restore the folder (but i believe the content won't be restored). Is this something that would help solve this?

Any tips to solve this would be welcome ofc :)

Kind regards,

S

Tuesday, November 27, 2018 11:26 AM

All replies

• Yes you are right, just rename the Conversation History folder in outlook and restart the SFB and Outlook together.

It will not restore the data, but you can copy pate the content from old Conversation History folder to new one..

Neeranjan Shettar (MyPage)

[If a post helps to resolve your issue, please click the "Mark as Answer" of that post or click Answered "Vote as helpful" button of that post. By marking a post as Answered or Helpful, you help others find the answer faster. ]

Tuesday, November 27, 2018 1:24 PM
  • Hi dg.s,

Agree with Neeranjan. In addition, I suggest you could try to check the “History Spooler” folder under the path: %Userprofile%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Office\16.0\Lync\sip_XXXXX. If there are large number of the latest conversation history cache files in the folder, the problem may be related to this. You could try to follow the steps below:
    1. Exit the Skype for Business client, then open the folder directory of the specific user, try to rename the “History Spooler” folder to “History Spooler. Old” in this directory.
    2. Re-login to the Skype for Business client, create a new IM session with others, enter the test content, then close the IM session window.
    3. After closing the IM session window, the “History Spooler” folder will be generated automatically in the user’s folder directory. The conversation history cache file will be generated in this folder and uploaded to the Exchange Server. Then the user can view the latest conversation in the Outlook client.
    4. Copy the cache files stored in the “History Spooler.old” folder to the “History Spooler” folder, it will upload those history conversation cache files to the Exchange Server automatically. At this point, the user can view all the conversation history in the Outlook client.

You could also refer to the link to find more details.

Best Regards,
    Evan Jiang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

• Proposed as answer by woshixiaobai Thursday, November 29, 2018 6:04 AM
    Wednesday, November 28, 2018 2:18 AM
  • Hi dg.s,

Is there any update for this issue, if the reply is helpful to you, please try to mark it as an answer, it will help others who have the similar issue.

Best Regards,
    Evan Jiang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Thursday, November 29, 2018 6:04 AM
  • Hi

My apologies, i haven't had time yet to try this yet, as the person that is experiencing this issue is also hard to get ahold of.

I will let you know as soon as i can reach the person and try deleting the folder (with backing it up first) and looking at the History Spooler folder.

Kind regards

dg.s

Monday, December 3, 2018 1:10 PM
  • Hi dg.s,

OK, if there’s any update please let us know.

Best Regards,
    Evan Jiang

Tuesday, December 4, 2018 6:30 AM
  • Hello again !

I was able to reach the person that is having this issue and i tried the following steps, alas with no success:

- Taking a look at the History Spooler folder, this contains about 38 items, which to me doesn't appear to be that much. Nevertheless i renamed the folder, and upon initiating a conversation over Skype For Business and then closing the conversation at both ends, a new History Spooler folder is being made and a new HIST file is also being made. However this did not result in the Conversation History folder in outlook being updated.

- Renaming, and eventual deletion, of the Conversation History folder in outlook. Both happened after closing SFB first and then reopening (along with Outlook). Second problem that occurs now after the deletion of the folder is that the folder is no longer being recreated inside Outlook. The History Spooler folder however still gets updated with a new HIST file after a new IM session is initiated and closed. Side note, on the Outlook Web section (OWA) is the Conversation History folder also not being recreated.

- Removal of the SFB cache along with the removal of the outlook profile and recreating one. This also has no effect on the issue.

- Full deinstallation and reinstallation of Office 2016 Pro and SFB 2016, also with no change in the above mentioned problems, the Conversation History folder in Outlook was also not recreated after this.

In both instances, of deleting the folder and after the full deinstallation and reinstallation, i waited about 10-20 minutes to see if the folder would be recreated.

- Also tried manually adding the FQDN of the on premise server (which is 2015) inside SFB

I also took a look at the link you posted to the other thread that had issues and solutions, also with no real success after following instructions or looking at the provided solutions.

I am right now out of any other options or ideas as how to solve this issue. The only thing that i can add or mention is that SFB constantly gives me the message / error that it is trying to establish a connection to the Exchange server (which is 2013 and is also on premise). This is also an isolated issue, as no other person has mentioned having similar issues.

All Windows Update related updates for the Microsoft Office 2016 package, aswell as the SFB 2016 package have been installed, Windows Update doesn't find anymore updates for these products. After the reinstallation of the packages i also rechecked and redid the other solutions regarding to MAPI issues, also with no success.

Hoping to still find a solution,

King regards,

dg.s

Friday, December 7, 2018 11:01 AM
  • Hi dg.s,

Did you try to login this account in the other PC to check this issue? 

If this issue also occurs, it may have some wrong with this account. I suggest you could try to disable the account in the SFB control panel, wait for some time and enable it, then try this again.
    If this issue does not occur in another PC, it may have somethings wrong with this PC.

Best Regards,
    Evan Jiang

Tuesday, December 11, 2018 9:07 AM
  • Hi Evan

The old laptop that the person had before did not have this issue. I tried logging in today on the new laptop with a test account and it had the same Conversation History issue, although i did not attempt to try out all the possible fixes on the test account.

If it is indeed laptop related then that would be very odd, as the laptop is at best 3 weeks old out of the box and has never been booted up before, prior to us installing it, and installing all the new updates, both windows and vendor related.

Giving me a possible suggestion of doing a "system restore" or clean install is something that is basically impossible to do at this point. How could this be OS related ?

Surely there should be a fix for this.

Kind regards,

dg.s

Tuesday, December 11, 2018 3:58 PM
  • Hi dg.s,

If you make sure this issue is related to the SFB account, and you have checked all the things in the SFB and Outlook client. I suggest you could try to temporarily disable this account, wait some time and then try to enable this account. After this, try to check whether fix this issue.

Best Regards,
    Evan Jiang

Thursday, December 13, 2018 2:57 AM
  • I'm having the same issue with one in 872 users. It happens on any computer that he uses. It has to be something within the Skype databases in my opinion. Did anyone ever figure it out?
    Monday, May 13, 2019 4:59 PM