none
ZeroConfigExchange GPO and Cross-Forest Policies

Question

• I am having some issues with the GPO setting 'Automatically configure profile based on Active Directory Primary SMTP address'
    The GPO correctly puts the ZeroConfigExchange registry key in HKCU but the Welcolme to Outlook always appears when the user opens Outlook 2013.

We have a forest trust and the users are part of Forest1 and the computers are part of Forest2
    The 'Allow cross-forest user policy and roaming user profiles' GPO is applied and all other cross-forest user policies run fine.

I have tested a user on Forest2 and this works fine.

Does anyone know of any issues with the ZeroConfigExchange GPO and cross-forest users policies?

Note: we use Office365 for email.

Thanks in advance.

Monday, April 24, 2017 12:34 PM

All replies

• Hi,
    Before we go further, please check if GPO is applied cross forest and the registry key is updated when users log in cross forest.
    You could run gpresult /h command to view the result when the user of forest 1 is logging into computers of forest 2.
    Best regards, 
    Wendy

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Thursday, April 27, 2017 7:33 AM
  • Many thanks for your reply

The GPO correctly puts the registry key setting into HKCU and the GPresult shows the GPO as applied.

I'm tempted to think that the HKCU reg hive is not applying correctly for cross-forest users. As, slightly off topic, we have an ongoing issue with Outlook 2013 creating “BACKUP OF” profiles for roaming users. To combat this, we copied a reg key entry from HLKM to HKCU and although the GPO gets applied, this does not work either.

Friday, April 28, 2017 8:37 AM
  • Hi,
    Therefore, it seems that Outlook2013 can't pick up ZeroConfigExchange registry key, i would suggest you have a try from  Outlook2013 aspect to see if anything could be found to help.

Best Regards,
    Wendy Jiang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Monday, May 01, 2017 6:59 AM