Skype for Business Inquiry RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

Just a little inquiry, is it possible to setup a Skype for business on-premise for Archiving features for SKype for Business in O365? 

What I mean here is Skype for business O365 users will able to use Skype for business on-premise as its Archiving? Because as far as I know, the archive feature for SFB is not implemented in O365.

Thank you.

• Edited by spideynok Thursday, August 25, 2016 12:51 AM add
    Thursday, August 25, 2016 12:41 AM

Answers

• Hi spodeynok,

I didn't find any document about such configuration. You can consider to use Exchange for Archiving.

Skype for Business provides archiving of peer-to-peer instant messages, multiparty instant messages, and content upload activities in meetings. The archiving capability requires Exchange and is controlled by the user’s Exchange mailbox In-Place Hold attribute, which archives both email and Skype for Business contents.

Security and Archiving

Best Regards,
    Jessie Yuan

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, August 25, 2016 3:01 AM
  • If the user is using Skype for Business Online and Exchange Online, then you can turn on archiving, but it won't be merged with the on-premises archiving, it will be stored in Exchange Online only.  You don't set it using a Skype policy either, it's set by enabling In Place Hold on the Exchange user's mailbox and making sure the Skype items box is checked (this has to be done per user, not a global setting).

There's no great way to combine them, other than by using a third party archiving tool like Smarsh for example.

Please remember, if you see a post that helped you please click "Vote" on the left side of the response, and if it answered your question please click "Mark As Answer". SWC Unified Communications This forum post is based upon my personal experience and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, SWC, their employees, or other MVPs.

• Marked as answer by spideynok Friday, September 2, 2016 3:48 AM
    Thursday, August 25, 2016 2:40 PM
  • Hi spideynok,

No. If the user unchecked the "Save IM conversations in my email Conversation History folder", the conversation content will not be saved on the user's mailbox. This option is checked by default. :)

Best Regards,
    Jessie Yuan

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, August 30, 2016 12:19 PM

All replies

• Hi spodeynok,

I didn't find any document about such configuration. You can consider to use Exchange for Archiving.

Skype for Business provides archiving of peer-to-peer instant messages, multiparty instant messages, and content upload activities in meetings. The archiving capability requires Exchange and is controlled by the user’s Exchange mailbox In-Place Hold attribute, which archives both email and Skype for Business contents.

Security and Archiving

Best Regards,
    Jessie Yuan

Thursday, August 25, 2016 3:01 AM
  • Hi Jessie, 

Thank you for that fast reply and informative answer.

I also saw that solution earlier, but my question is what if the User uncheck the “Save IM conversations in my email Conversation History folder” on the client settings? Would it still be saved on the users mailbox?

Thank you.

Thursday, August 25, 2016 3:04 AM
  • If the user is using Skype for Business Online and Exchange Online, then you can turn on archiving, but it won't be merged with the on-premises archiving, it will be stored in Exchange Online only.  You don't set it using a Skype policy either, it's set by enabling In Place Hold on the Exchange user's mailbox and making sure the Skype items box is checked (this has to be done per user, not a global setting).

There's no great way to combine them, other than by using a third party archiving tool like Smarsh for example.

Please remember, if you see a post that helped you please click "Vote" on the left side of the response, and if it answered your question please click "Mark As Answer". SWC Unified Communications This forum post is based upon my personal experience and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, SWC, their employees, or other MVPs.

Thursday, August 25, 2016 2:40 PM
  • Hi spideynok,

No. If the user unchecked the "Save IM conversations in my email Conversation History folder", the conversation content will not be saved on the user's mailbox. This option is checked by default. :)

Best Regards,
    Jessie Yuan

Tuesday, August 30, 2016 12:19 PM