Windows 7 Just Restarted itself RRS feed

• Question

• My Aspire Acer AX3300 has just restarted itself, now since this is a relatively new computer (June 2010), I'm a bit worried.

It has happened just the once so far, today I logged into my adminstrator account and what looked like a black command window popped up and then disappeared, I didn't see what it said, then a couple of hours later whilst I was running SuperAntiSpyware and it was trying to get rid of some cookies my computer restarted.

I am running Windows 7 Home Premium (64Bit), AMD Athlon II X2 215 Processor 2.15GHz, 2GB RAM

- < Event xmlns =" http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event " >
    - < System >
      < Provider Name =" Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power " Guid =" {331C3B3A-2005-44C2-AC5E-77220C37D6B4} " />
      < EventID > 109 </ EventID >
      < Version > 0 </ Version >
      < Level > 4 </ Level >
      < Task > 103 </ Task >
      < Opcode > 0 </ Opcode >
      < Keywords > 0x8000000000000004 </ Keywords >
      < TimeCreated SystemTime =" 2010-11-01T17:18:31.938400000Z " />
      < EventRecordID > 23843 </ EventRecordID >
      < Correlation />
      < Execution ProcessID =" 472 " ThreadID =" 476 " />
      < Channel > System </ Channel >
      < Computer > my computer name </ Computer >
      < Security />
      </ System >
    - < EventData >
      < Data Name =" ShutdownActionType " > 5 </ Data >
      < Data Name =" ShutdownEventCode " > 0 </ Data >
      < Data Name =" ShutdownReason " > 0 </ Data >
      </ EventData >
      </ Event >

Any help would be much appricated, thank you
    Monday, November 1, 2010 6:28 PM

Answers

• The antispyware and cookies are all running in user mode. Therefore they are not able to cause BSOD issues. Generally BSOD are caused by program mistake from kernel mode.  

You may boot in Clean Boot Mode.

Perform a clean startup to determine whether background programs are interfering with your game or program

If the issue persists in Clean Boot Mode you can try to check the driver signature. To do so, in Start Search box enter sigverif.exe. Then click the start button in “File Signature Verification”. In the result list, please pick up *.sys files, rename one of them and then shut down or restart to check if the issue still occurs. If the issue persists, rename another *.sys file listed in the result of driver signature verifying, and check result again. By doing so we can determine which un-singed driver is the root cause.

Another way is enable muni-dump and use Windbg. Please refer:

How to read the small memory dump files that Windows creates for debugging

You may paste the result in your next post for analyzing.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    • Marked as answer by Arthur Xie Wednesday, November 24, 2010 9:27 AM
    Thursday, November 4, 2010 6:25 AM

All replies

• Sorry to post again so soon, I was having a deeper look at the event viewer to see what had caused it to restart and found this (Ive starred out my name and computer name):

The process SUPERAntiSpyware.exe has initiated the restart of computer ** on behalf of user **\** for the following reason: Other (Unplanned)
     Reason Code: 0x0
     Shutdown Type: restart
     Comment:

Found the problem, just looked on SuperAntiSpyware forum and found that someone else had the same problem and a reply was

" I suspect your SAS is finding tracking cookies that it needs to get rid of. If the tracking cookie is busy whenever you tell SAS to remove them, SAS cannot remove the busy cookies and requests a reboot to complete the removal. "

So I'm guessing I might have gotten paranoid, sorry

Not sure what the command window was for though

Monday, November 1, 2010 6:37 PM
  • The antispyware and cookies are all running in user mode. Therefore they are not able to cause BSOD issues. Generally BSOD are caused by program mistake from kernel mode.  

You may boot in Clean Boot Mode.

Perform a clean startup to determine whether background programs are interfering with your game or program

If the issue persists in Clean Boot Mode you can try to check the driver signature. To do so, in Start Search box enter sigverif.exe. Then click the start button in “File Signature Verification”. In the result list, please pick up *.sys files, rename one of them and then shut down or restart to check if the issue still occurs. If the issue persists, rename another *.sys file listed in the result of driver signature verifying, and check result again. By doing so we can determine which un-singed driver is the root cause.

Another way is enable muni-dump and use Windbg. Please refer:

How to read the small memory dump files that Windows creates for debugging

You may paste the result in your next post for analyzing.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    • Marked as answer by Arthur Xie Wednesday, November 24, 2010 9:27 AM
    Thursday, November 4, 2010 6:25 AM