iOS S4B app Voice Setting changes to VOIP Always on its own. RRS feed

• Question

• We have an on premise Skype for Business 2015 system that was setup this past summer.  We migrated from Lync 2010.

I have been using the iOS app since our change over to S4B in July.

I prefer to have S4B call my cell (Simultaneous ring feature) using "cellular" rather than VOIP however the S4B iOS app consistently changes the setting back to the default of "VOIP Always" after a few days of non-use.  I'm probably one of the only users that uses this combination of iOS app, Mac app, and simultaneous ring regularly.  I don't use the windows client.

Here’s the details about my environment.

S4B server 2015  6.0.9319.259
    iOS 11.0.3 (though it was an issue in iOS 10.x in the summer)
    Skype 4 business for iOS version 6.17.2.5
    On my notebook computer I use Skype for Business for Mac 16.11.149

I have deleted and re-installed the iOS app several times.  When I remove the app, calls come to the cellphone as they should and always did with Lync 2010.  With the iOS app installed and in use occasionally, the behaviour is strange and less predictable.  

Two weekends in a row for example on Friday morning I opened the iOS app and verified that the app was set to cellular in the voice settings and made some test calls to my Skype4B number.  The calls came in correctly to my cell using cellular.  Later in the day I left the office for the weekend.  Back in the office on Monday I received some missed call notifications in my exchange inbox.  When I saw the missed call notifications I opened the iOS app and sure enough the app's voice setting had switched to "VOIP always" and I'd seen no notifications or incoming calls on the cell and I hadn't had the app open at all on the weekend or touched the settings.

Anyone have ideas on how to troubleshoot this? OR seen similar behaviour?

I posted this question to the microsoft answers community but the MSFT tech told me they couldn't help and directed me to post my question here in this forum.   Here's the other thread.  https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/msoffice_sfb-mso_imobile-mso_o365b/skype-for-business-ios-app-keeps-changing-voice/00187495-1e7f-472c-8e4b-987dc082b7ed?messageId=9504ec67-a997-4725-8ed4-8aa824112743

It is really annoying to keep missing calls in this way.  It was so rock solid for me in Lync 2010 but hasn't been at all in Skype for Business.

Thanks!

Tuesday, October 31, 2017 8:10 PM

All replies

• Hi Matt,

To further troubleshoot the issue, could you please confirm the following information?

1. If you set your account in another iphone , does the issue persist?

2. Do other users use iphone in your organization have the same problem?

3. Could you give me a screenshot about voice setting on the iphone?

Please let us know whether your iPhone is connected to a WiFi network environment when the calls switch from cellular to VoIP Always.

Best Regards,

Leon-Lu
    TechNet Community Support

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

• Marked as answer by Matt DeLong Wednesday, November 1, 2017 8:54 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by Matt DeLong Wednesday, November 1, 2017 8:54 PM
    Wednesday, November 1, 2017 7:25 AM
  • Here is some of the info you requested. 1. I have not yet tried with another iPhone. It will be difficult to find another phone to test with but I’ll see what I can do. 2. I have asked a couple other users. My co-worker has iPhone and has not noticed any issues though he uses the windows client software on his computer and currently versions of iOS client. I’ll ask him to check his phone using cellular rather than VOIP. 3. I’ll try to send a screenshot in private message as it does it look like I can attach it here. 4. Yes the phone is usually connected to a WiFi network about 80% of time so likely the phone is on WiFi when the setting changes. I suppose it’s possible that it changes when not on WiFi but I can’t be sure exactly when the change takes place because I only discover it when I see missed call notifications in my inbox.
    • Edited by Matt DeLong Wednesday, November 1, 2017 11:12 AM
    Wednesday, November 1, 2017 11:04 AM
  • This was the screenshot of the settings page at about 4am when I replied to the post this morning.

Wednesday, November 1, 2017 8:11 PM
  • Today I missed a few calls this afternoon because the app switched back to VOIP Always.  This photo below was taken at 2:00pm a few minutes ago.

Wednesday, November 1, 2017 8:13 PM
  • Hi Matt,

Based on you screenshot,you always connect to the WiFi ,let your iPhone is NOT connected to WiFi network on this day, set the voice setting to the cellular ,check whether will be change voice setting to the VoIP Always.

Best Regards,

Leon-Lu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Thursday, November 2, 2017 10:01 AM
  • I followed your instructions.  At 7am this morning I took the phone off of WIFI and left it on the cellular data connection all morning so far.  I ensured that the Skype for Business app's settings were set to Cellular and then waited for calls. A few moments ago - just before 11am, I made a test call to my account from a co-worker's phone and my phone did not ring.  I received a missed call notification in my inbox.  When I launched the Skype4B iOS app the setting had changed to "VOIP Always" and no call came to my phone.  So I don't think it is related to the phone being on WIFI or not.  Not sure what to make of all this...

Thursday, November 2, 2017 5:02 PM
  • Another followup.  Phone is still not using WIFI.  When I replied earlier at 11am, I set the phone back to cellular and made a test call to confirm that it was working correctly and that the call was received on my iPhone.  At 1pm, I made another test call and my cellphone did not ring.  I checked the Skype4B app and the setting had switched back to VOIP Always.  The app was not even running during that time between 11am and 1pm.
    Thursday, November 2, 2017 7:06 PM
  • Did some more testing.  It appears that the app (or maybe server backend?) is switching the setting around 15 minutes after I change it.  I've seen it clearly happen several times (6+) today and seems to be perfectly repeatable at least so far today.  It is the same with the iPhone on cellular data (WIFI off) and with the phone on WIFI.  In both cases if I launch the app set the phone to "cellular" then quit the app, approximately 15min later if I attempt a test call the call won't make it to the iPhone (no notifications on the iPhone).  Then when I launch the app, the app will show the setting reset to "VoIP Always".

Thursday, November 2, 2017 11:00 PM
  • Extensive testing today given what I found out yesterday.

The issue is repeatable on several different Skype for business accounts in my organization.  

The issue does not seem to be tied to my use of the mac OS client.  Some of the accounts used in testing today have only been used with windows clients.

The issue is not specific to a type of iPhone or to the current iOS version. Ie if I use two or three different phone models with even slightly different iOS versions the issue persists.

I am wondering if the issue is somehow tied to the combination of the mobile app and something on the server side that are conflicting related to that VOIP / Cellular setting.

Friday, November 3, 2017 6:03 PM
  • Hi Matt,

We have notice this problem, it is a know issue,please waiting for next update.

Thanks for your understanding and patience.

Best Regards,

Leon-Lu

Tuesday, November 7, 2017 8:17 AM
  • Is it a known issue with the iOS client or on the server side? I’d like to know which product I need to watch for an update on? Thanks
    Tuesday, November 7, 2017 12:54 PM
  • Hi Matt,

It is on the IOS client.Please waiting for the ios client update.

Best Regards,

Leon-Lu

Tuesday, November 7, 2017 1:03 PM
  • Hi Leon-Lu,

are you saying we need to wait for an iOS update, or wait for you to update us about an iOS update?  

Thanks. Ben. 

Thursday, November 16, 2017 3:22 AM
  • It'll be an update to the Skype for Business mobile application on IOS.

Kind regards
    Ben

Note: If you find a post informative, please mark it so using the arrow to the left. If it answers a question you've asked, please mark the thread as answered to aid others when they're looking for solutions to similar problems.

Thursday, November 16, 2017 6:29 AM
  • Is there an ETA for this update?  This "reset to VoIP automatically" issue has been presenting on my iOS phones in a similar S4B environment for well over a year, possibly two years.  
    Monday, February 26, 2018 1:35 PM
  • Please any news about this problem?

Also in my company we have this issue and is a big problem for us!

Is a know bug but is at least one year old.

Thank you.

Thursday, March 22, 2018 9:34 AM
  • I am having the same issue. How has still not been updated in over over a year!!!
    Wednesday, November 7, 2018 9:56 PM