none
SBS Essentials vs server 2008 R2 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi. According what I have read so far SBS essentials shines like an operating system to be configured through guided tools of installation and simple access. My interest it is on comparing it with server 2008 R2 to know what limitations might be found. It is possible to configure the same functions on SBS as on 2008 R2 or to take console control for DCHP, DNS, ACTIVATE DIRECTORY…. Another concern: Growth (considering 25 users limitation), it is possible to install products to SBS essentials such as SQL Server 2008 R2 (Express or Standard) and to use it as a data base for a client/server application? What significant differences should I be aware of to buy one or another? Any side by side comparison chart o these two products?

Regards, José

José
    Friday, November 25, 2011 10:02 PM

Answers

• Some would say that with external, or externaly scanned email, a UTM firewall, and strong AV on the stations there is no need for AV on the server.  Others would say, in the case of SBS-S you should have AV scanning the files (with proper exclusions of course), and no need for email scanner on the SBS S.

It borders on a religious war.  Frequently mentioned are:  Trend Micro, GFI Vipre, and several in Europe whose names I don't remember.  Also Symantec gets strong support from those who like them.

I have experiece with Trend WFBS Advance and GFI Vipre Enterprise.  I like them both.  Trend went through a rough patch, but they seem to be getting there act together.

Larry Struckmeyer[SBS-MVP]
    • Marked as answer by José Soto Sunday, December 4, 2011 11:32 PM
    Tuesday, November 29, 2011 10:34 PM

All replies

•  
    While this comparison guide is for Windows 2008 Foundation Server (15 user limit) vs SBSe 2011 (25 user limit), It explains some of the differences.  PC backup and server Wizards to handle routine maintenance are areas where SBSe has the advantage. 

SBSe 2011 was designed for low end servers.  While you could install SQL on SBSe, the server may take a performance hit, especially if you're running at the upper limit for users (25) and the low end for your server specs.  Purchasing the Premium Add-On gets you a license for another server that can run Windows 2008 R2 and SQL. Of course, that means buying a second server or running SBSe and Win2008 R2 in Hyper-V on a higher end server.  

--
    Merv  Porter   [SBS-MVP]
    ============================
    Friday, November 25, 2011 10:24 PM
  • Further, there is absolutly NO reason to install the DHCP or the DNS roles on the SBSe.  It will run DNS for the internal domain, but it directs all requests for URL's to the router/isp DNS servers as you would expect.

Further, it is perfectly happy with a DHCP IP assigned to it by the router.

It does this magic by installing a service on the SBSe and the clients that talk to each other.  When the client leaves the LAN, or if the SBSe is off line, the clients automatically look to the router/isp for DNS and do not need the SBSe to act as intermediary.

Yes, you CAN install DHCP and DNS on the SBSe, but there is really no reason to do so.

http://sbs.seandaniel.com/2011/06/basics-of-local-dns-for-small-business.html

Friday, November 25, 2011 11:04 PM
  • Thanks, Merv and Larry. Very usefull information. Another question: What is your experience on deploying an antivirus solution for these products? Which antivirus runs better? Can that be done on the same server?
    José
    Tuesday, November 29, 2011 6:11 PM
  • Some would say that with external, or externaly scanned email, a UTM firewall, and strong AV on the stations there is no need for AV on the server.  Others would say, in the case of SBS-S you should have AV scanning the files (with proper exclusions of course), and no need for email scanner on the SBS S.

It borders on a religious war.  Frequently mentioned are:  Trend Micro, GFI Vipre, and several in Europe whose names I don't remember.  Also Symantec gets strong support from those who like them.

I have experiece with Trend WFBS Advance and GFI Vipre Enterprise.  I like them both.  Trend went through a rough patch, but they seem to be getting there act together.

• Marked as answer by José Soto Sunday, December 4, 2011 11:32 PM
    Tuesday, November 29, 2011 10:34 PM
  • Thanks, Larry.
    José
    Sunday, December 4, 2011 11:35 PM