none
Project Server 2010 - past over allocation issues RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Here is some issues about over allocation with Project Server and Project Pro 210 :

1. Sometime, a resource enter more than 8h real work a day. She was probably over allocated, we need to see how. Fine. The problème is the red figure in MS Project Pro 2010 stay forever red so i can't easily see if the resource is still over allocated. Is there a way for MS Project  to only consider the futur for over allocation ?

2. There is something strange about over allocations in Project Pro because it dosen't tag red all days over 8h but tag some days under 8h (even 0h, how can this be ?).

3. Finally, for some resources, MS Project Pro show, in ressources usage view, an aberrant work in "others  project" for a few days, like 175h for 1 day.
      But when I also open the other project concerning the resource, the figure disappear. It reappears if I close one project plan on the remaining one.
      I've tried to republish them both without success.

4. In the resource availability page, it seems that non published task are taken into account. Is there a way to change that ?

Thanks for your time,

Fylim

• Edited by Fylim Monday, December 2, 2013 7:47 PM
    Monday, December 2, 2013 7:47 PM

All replies

• Hi Fylim,

1- as far as I know, the overallocation warning cannot be displayed only for future overallocation. But be aware that you can specify in the leveling options the granularity of the overallocations detections (day by day, week by week...).

2- This looks strange. Please give us more details/screenshots. It could depend on the working hours per day defined in the scheduling options. Moreover, depending on the parameter specified for the granularity of the overallocation detection (point 1), a week might appear as overallocated evenif just a day of the week is overallocated.

3- "other projects" assignment for a given resource contains all assignments from projects on the server for this resource. When you open another project containing resource assignments, then they will be removed from "other projects" and displayed as dedicated assignments.

4- Non published tasks should not appear in the resource availability page. When saying "non publish", do you mean setting the field "publish" to "no" for the tasks or not publishing the project. Note that if you don't publish a project that has already been published before, assignments will still be publish in the resource availability page from the first publish operation.

Hope this helps.

Guillaume Rouyre - MBA, MCP, MCTS

Tuesday, December 3, 2013 4:21 PM
  • Hi thanks for your answers,

I can't put screenshots here, my account seems to be not verified. I've tried some solutions without success. I'll investigate this later...
    So i put 2 links to screenshots

1. I'm aware of the leveling options but i want to see over allocation by day so i can't hide previous over time by changing the leveling. But a solution may be related to point 2.

2. I've done more search on which figure is red and which is not. For the past, with real work, it's seems that there is red only if the resource enter some time for other project. Here is an exemple, the last two rows are for other projects :

http://hpics.li/d4facd2

The resource worked less on the second day but only the 7.75 is red. And she also worked on other projects that day. The leveling option for over allocation is set to day by day.
    3. I understand the other projects rows and i can see other projects in it. But There is some strange behaviors. Here is one :

http://hpics.li/1689b36

The resource almost never used Project Server, she's away for some time. The columns contains no real work and some wild 75,17h appears in "Other projects". But there is only one other projects for this resource and not work at this time. I got no idea where this data comes from. I may have 2 ou 3 cases like this, not much but it's disturbing. It doesn't appear in PWA ressources views.

4. When I said non publish, I mean "no" in the published column of Project Professional then I publish the project. I tried some solutions and the only way to prevent a task form charging hours in the resource availability page seems to set "no" in the active column.

Again, thanks for your time,

Fylim

• Edited by Fylim Tuesday, December 3, 2013 7:56 PM
    Tuesday, December 3, 2013 7:55 PM
  • Hi Fylim,

I'll let you more time to investigate.

One important comment: when you launch MS Project Pro, you must have a dialog box with the connections available and a checkbox "load summary resources assignments". Checking this options will load resources assignments from all projects on the server. On the contrary, unchecking this option will make Project takes into account only current proejct files assignments. Thus resources overallocations will be calculated on the current project versus all server assignments when the option is checked.

Basically, if you specified a calendar with 8 working hrs per day and depending on the option explained above, Project will display the overallocation warning (red guy) in front of any assignments that have any overallocation at any time. Then in the usage views, the overallocated periods for a given overallocated assignment will be colored in red, depending on the overallocation detection granularity (day, week, month).

3- You should go and check in the specified projects what are those assignments. Note that in the usage views, you can insert the column "project" in order to get the project name for "other projects" assignments.

Hope this helps.

Tuesday, December 3, 2013 8:56 PM
  • Hi Guillaume,

I didn't know about the checkbox, it can be really usefull, thank you for the tip. When I uncheck it, over allocation are much more consistent.
    Though many managers wants to see the global over affectation though. But it will helps me do make more tests.

3 - This is more complicated : I did check which project exist under "Other projects", there is only one. But as you can see in the 2nd screenshot (last row) this project got no work under the 75.17h. In other words, Project Pro tells me that this resource got 75.17h in other projects but when I want to check which one, none got any work. (And I got admin rights on Project Sever so I can see every projects).

Thanks

Fylim

Wednesday, December 4, 2013 3:55 PM
  • Indeed it looks strange for the 75,17h.

Maybe you could the following:

Open the project containing the 75,17h and republish it. Also unpublish the assignment (field "publish" to no) an drepublish it.

Go the the resource availability in PWA (from resource center) and check if the 75h is still appearing.

Wednesday, December 4, 2013 4:23 PM
  • Sorry for the delay,

1. Thanks again for the checkbox, it had been really appreciated.
      But I still don't understand why some day are red and some aren't... Here is a screenshot of a red "0".
      When i open project A, nothing is red for this date.

http://hpics.li/54dd42b
    2. I manage to delete the 75,17h by simply deleting the resource from the only task he got in the project. He had no real work for this task. I had tried to republish the project but not the specified task as other resources works on it and I didn't want them to loose their saved but not sent time.
      The 75.17h never appeared in resource availability page, just in Project Pro.

3. Am I the only one who got non published tasks populating the resource availability page ?

Thanks,

Wednesday, December 11, 2013 3:08 PM
  • You're more than welcome!

Wednesday, December 11, 2013 3:16 PM