Vista has been a nightmare RRS feed

• Question

• So last night I undertook the task of installing Vista (Ultimate full version) on my computer. The first observation that when I put in the DVD it created an error on my Windows XP that was running. So I booted from the CD which worked. The second observation was that the install was not as fast as some would have you believe. It took about 45 minutes whereas my XP installs used to take about 30 minutes.

Once installed the interface looks absolutely stunning. The first thing I did was to update Vista with the latest patches from Microsoft. Then I installed Flash and Itunes. With every install the nagging warnings were very irritating (to be fair I’m sure there is a hidden setting somewhere to turn this off). Then the 3rd software I proceeded to install was a software called Alcohol 120% which is a CD burning software like EZ CD creator and Nero. Note that Alcohol worked fine in XP. During the install I got the blue screen of death. The computer rebooted and once the desktop came back up again it once again went to the blue screen of death. It rebooted again and this time I went into safe mode. Once again the blue screen of death. After several more attempts I knew I had to reformat the computer again and reinstall.

On the second install I was wise and did not dare install Alcohol again. So I decided to do the safest thing I could do – Surf the web. I found a file that I wanted to download and Vista told me that it had downloaded it to my Users > James folder. But then I couldn’t find the file in this folder. So I downloaded it again but there was a message that I had missed the first time saying it was downloading it into a temp folder despite the fact that it showed James as the folder it was saving it into.  I manually changed the selection of where to save the file and told it to the root of  C. Vista then tells me that I do not have sufficient rights and I should contact the administrator – I am the F**** administrator.

Finally I walked away from the computer and upon coming back I noticed the screen saver was on (which was the first thing it did right). Pressing the spacebar there was a message window saying Vista has detected a hard disk failure and press any key to shut down.

That was it. I re-installed XP and everything is running great. I will save Vista for my eventual supercomputer that I hope to build someday or sell it on Ebay with a warning not to install it.

Wednesday, February 7, 2007 6:16 PM

All replies

• next time try Daemon tools... similar to 120% and vista ready... there are alot of threads with vista blocking 120

Wednesday, February 7, 2007 7:54 PM
  • VISTA is a very good OS, it has tons of new feature and the one that i like is Quick search, you cann't get this in any other OS

Vista has a feature to checking HDD and your RAM and if u have any problem in ur H/W none of the OS can help u out, sooner or later XP also will give you problem

For any type of installation u can mail me

Cool

Jhunnu

Wednesday, February 7, 2007 8:04 PM
  • So how do you actually get Administrative rights to folders? Sofar anything that I am used to being able to access (in XP) I get the annoying "Access Denied" error.
    Tuesday, February 20, 2007 7:30 PM