how to change password with Domain controller not available anymore : configuration information could not be read from the domain controller, either because the machine is unavailable, or because access is denied RRS feed

• Question

• I have a Machine with windows 7 x64 pro which was connected to a domain controller that is dead and not available anymore.

I want to continue to use this computer standalone and keep all the software and configurations already installed, however i need to change my pass and i am not able to do it getting this msg : configuration information could not be read from the domain controller, either because the machine is unavailable, or because access is denied.

How can i solve this (change the pass or copy all the user settings to local) without the domain controller server?

thank you

vitor

Friday, December 21, 2018 2:50 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Based on my knowledge, this windows 7 computer not successfully unjoining the domain might be the reason why you cannot change the password.

To unjoin the domain, please right-click this computer->properties->change setting->change it to workgroup.

Hope the information above can be helpful.

Best regards,

Lavilian

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Proposed as answer by Lavilian Li Tuesday, December 25, 2018 1:55 AM
    • Edited by Lavilian Li Tuesday, December 25, 2018 5:54 AM
    Monday, December 24, 2018 8:57 AM
  • Unjoin the system from Domain to use it as a standalone machine and create local account

to reset domain user account password, login to any domain joined system and do it

Regards,
    Ganesamoorthy.S
    www.windowstricks.in)

Monday, December 24, 2018 6:06 PM
  • Hi,

If you know the password of administrator local account, you can disjoint the machine from the domain and create local account, copy user profile from domain user profile to local one.

Please don't forget to mark the correct answer, to help others who have the same issue. Thameur BOURBITA MCSE | MCSA My Blog : http://bourbitathameur.blogspot.fr/

Monday, December 24, 2018 6:59 PM
  • Hi,

Just checking in to see if the information provided was helpful. Please let us know if you would like further assistance.

Best Regards,

Lavilian

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, December 26, 2018 6:56 AM
  • Hi,

Just want to confirm the current situations.

Please feel free to let us know if you need further assistance.

Best Regards,

Lavilian

Monday, December 31, 2018 4:57 AM