none
ADFS DR Testing with WID RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

We have ADFS 2.0 farm (2 Servers in NLB) with WID at primary site and one more ADFS server (not part of NLB) at DR site in the same farm to serve O365 SSO.

Now I wanted to test ADFS DR.

Will take care of Public and private DNS by swapping IP addresses

Now if I shutdown the both ADFS servers in primary site for testing purpose, is it mandatory to convert my DR site ADFS server from secondary to primary as mentioned in

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/1432.ad-fs-2-0-how-to-set-the-primary-federation-server-in-a-wid-farm.aspx  article ?

Also If I do so, what will happens with ADFS servers in primary site when I start them ?

Am not able to figure out the exact method to test ADFS DR functionality.

Any help is highly appreciated.

Best Regards

Mahesh

Thursday, August 15, 2013 7:11 AM

All replies

• It is not mandatory to promote your WID database from secondary to primary unless you will need to write changes to it.  A secondary database is read-only, so it will function for failover (especially testing), but cannot have any changes written to it.

If you convert the database to primary, you don't want to restore the old primary database.  Rather,  you'd bring up the server, re-attach it to the ADFS farm and let the database rebuild as a secondary. 

• Proposed as answer by Matthew_Green Monday, August 19, 2013 7:19 PM
    Monday, August 19, 2013 7:19 PM